Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UW or UC Davis for Econ Major

siyangqiusiyangqiu Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited April 2012 in University of Wisconsin
Hi!

I've been accepted at both these schools, so I'm wondering what others think about which school I should attend for econ.

Currently, I'm leaning towards UW because, although I live in California, I don't really care if I'm going far away, rather I would prefer that, and the additional tuition isn't an issue for me. I also know that UCs are having some issues going on with scheduling and budget cuts; in general, things might be a bit messy. I don't know, however, about the situation at UW.
Post edited by siyangqiu on

Replies to: UW or UC Davis for Econ Major

• wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,835 Senior Member
    Recent student cost increases to add staffing for freshmen courses so students can get sections at UW. Despite budget cuts I think Wisconsin is in better shape than California regarding its U system. A few years ago I noticed huge decreases in grad students for math at some CA schools- budget cuts mean less money to pay TAs leading to fewer sections of courses and harder to get needed prerequisite courses. UW's solution was to add a surcharge to be able to hire.

If the family budget makes UW affordable and you don't mind the different climate go for UW.
  • kxc1961kxc1961 Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    Yes, if cold weather is not of a concern, UW is a great school for you.
  • siyangqiusiyangqiu Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks! I should be going to UW this fall then!
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,835 Senior Member
    Good choice- you can always return to CA but won't have other chances to be in other parts of the country without needing to worry about jobs et al.
This discussion has been closed.