Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I apply to UW-Madison?

2»

Replies to: Should I apply to UW-Madison?

  • Sebastian2Sebastian2 Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    If you go to Madison I would rush greek life....pretty prevalent in the social scene here. I am a sophmore
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,847 Senior Member
    "...rush Greek life...prevalent..." Huh? You live in a different world than any UW students I know of. Most are independent and choose their social life without the Greek limitations.

    Since only about 10% of students do the Greek scene I do not understand why most students would bother with it. It fills the needs of a small minority. 90% do well without bothering. UW has a vast alumni network all over the country (and world) so there is no advantage out of college.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,938 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    For the roughly 10% of the undergrads at UW involved in greek life (including my kid), it structures their social life, creating a smaller group within the large university. For the other 90% of the students, it is irrelevant.
  • UWprincessUWprincess Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    While Greek life may only consist of approximately 4,000 students (13%), it is a choice like any other student organization. Greek life isn't for everyone and I have plenty of non-Greek friends, but I think you should at a minimum rush and form your own opinion. I know plenty of people who rushed and decided not to go Greek or dropped before initiation,but they still made friends through the process. It's a no lose situation. Greek life contributes to campus and the surrounding communities by participation in philanthropic and service-oriented activities and events, educational and personal development programs, providing a variety of ways to engage in leadership development, and by supporting the academic mission of the institution through research, scholarships, and a strong commitment to academic excellence. Because of Greek Life, I love the fact that when I'm walking around campus, I always run into someone I know, thus making a large school feel smaller.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,847 Senior Member
    Totally disagree. Many/most will not waste their time investigating or spending money on a lifestyle they have no interest in. People tend to make friends with others in their major, especially once they get beyond the intro level courses. Others come from activities. Greek works for you, not for most.
  • UWprincessUWprincess Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    I clearly stated Greek Life isn't for everyone just like any of the other 900 student orgs offered at UW. This year Greek Life had the highest amount of potential new members warranting an extra day to the recruitment schedule. No matter what org/activity is chosen, students should have an open mind, try something new, and step out of their comfort zone.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,847 Senior Member
    Being solo/independent can be keeping out of a comfort zone.
This discussion has been closed.