Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

School of Business Admission Decisions Are Emailed

Vlad2424Vlad2424 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
edited July 2009 in University of Wisconsin
Just a heads up.

Congrats to those who got in.
Post edited by Vlad2424 on

Replies to: School of Business Admission Decisions Are Emailed

• Madison85Madison85 Registered User Posts: 10,582 Senior Member
    Link to admission statistics:

Undergraduate Program - Admissions, School of Business, University of Wisconsin - Madison

84% of Applicants who will be Sophomores in Fall of 2009 were admitted (new standards)
    58% of Applicants who will be Juniors in Fall of 2009 were admitted
  • Vlad2424Vlad2424 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    At first I was shocked by the 84% acceptance rate, but if you look closely you can see that the avg GPA was higher then it has ever been for the fall semester. Which is a little odd.

Not a lot of people applied. I know many who were scared out of applying hearing the rumors of the standards they needed to get in. I'm guessing there will be a huge flock of people applying in the Spring and expectations will go way up
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,851 Senior Member
    The transition to Soph admissions will create some anomalies until they get everyone into the new system. Then they'll add some direct freshman admits.
  • timmao1989timmao1989 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    I had a 3.5 prebiz/3.44 bizecon when I finished this semester. After getting rejected last semester, I worked my ass off this past semester and wrote a serious essay, and...I got in. I was definitely lucky, as I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't get in. To those of you who didn't get in, I know how you feel; I came in with 39 AP credits two years ago, so I had to take minimal prereqs. By the time I first applied, I was a junior, and I had already taken all the prereqs and two business classes, which I got B's in. This semester, I put it all on the line, took 18 credits with 12 credits of business, obtained 3AB's and an A in those classes, and took my essay very seriously.
    Don't give up. And for those considering econ, know that those classes factor into the biz/econ GPA as well, so do well and you may get a choice of whether to do business or econ. Take your essay to the writing center, and really show that you have a passion for business. For me, I wrote about my business classes and how ethical, yet effective my professors were. I intended to get the certificate in healthcare management, to do more ethical healthcare marketing. Anyways, congratulations to those admitted, sorry to those who weren't, and On Wisconsin!
    barrons: 'direct freshman admits', really? How interesting..., though I suppose that the students previously accepted into the Business Scholars Program (now defunct) would have been considered to be direct freshman admits.
    That's the plan. I'll be at a meet and greet with Dean Knetter in a week and I'll ask is that's still in the plan.
    Here's my source

"Conditional on new funding, the school will create a director of admissions position to recruit up to 10% of our class straight out of high school. "

Undergraduate Program
    Thanks for the info!
    I also think that is an excellent idea. Most top schools are doing it now.
  • MNBadgerMNBadger Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    Very true, Barrons. I cannot tell you how many of my highly qualified applicant friends sacrificed their desire to go to UW because they were guaranteed into Carlson @ Minnesota as a newly admitted Freshman--even though they got into both.
This discussion has been closed.