Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Asians acceptance rate at Vandy

Replies to: Asians acceptance rate at Vandy

• SoCalDad2SoCalDad2 Registered User Posts: 868 Member
    Duke has already hit their Asian ceiling making it very difficult for Asian students to get in.

Do you have any evidence of that?
  • goldenboy8784goldenboy8784 Registered User Posts: 1,698 Senior Member
    The Ivies have an Asian quota of 20% it seems since none of their Asian populations seemingly ever cross that threshold (Harvard for sure). The best non-Ivies tend to enroll a greater percentage of Asians for some reason: Stanford, MIT, Duke, Johns Hopkins, UChicago, etc.
  • bud123bud123 Registered User Posts: 702 Member
    I would not put much faith in the reported ethnic mix at elite universities. First, more and more students elect to leave the race question blank. It's not unusual to see >10% of students as race unknown. Next, international students race is blank. International students can comprise >10% of the students at elite universities. The percentage of mixed races continues to grow (aren't we all) and can make up >5% of the students. So 25% of students at many elite universities are race unknown and that is before students stretch the truth.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,311 Senior Member
    "The Ivies have an Asian quota of 20% it seems since none of their Asian populations seemingly ever cross that threshold (Harvard for sure)"

I'm not sure if this really works. Perhaps set that as an upperbound at the admissions stage, but I don't know how they would control the percentages (doesn't Harvard have like over a 75% yield rate? Maybe not that high, but high nonetheless) that actually enroll. I suppose places like that can sync the two because they have likely gotten to the point where the amount they accept is much closer to the desired size of the class than at other schools (as would be the case for a 75%+ yield rate). For all we know, the other non-Ivy top 25 or so schools could be attempting a similar thing, but since their yield is lower, they get a much larger Asian enrollment (with places like Duke, Chicago, and Rice hovering between 20-30%, Emory 30-35%, etc.) than what they may have been aiming for. Though honestly, these places seem not to mind it.

bud123: But wouldn't Asians (both international and Asian Americans) have less ability to do that simply because of the name. I think you may more likely see this among whites, and yes, maybe international students. Oh, and a question. Are you saying that international students would not or are not asked to reveal their ethnicity? I ask because, apparently last year, Emory's class had 34% Asian/Pacific Islander, etc, and apparently 18% of that incoming class was international (with China, India, and South Korea likely being the majority of those students). Does this mean that the 18% of those and the 4% of the unidentified student body is not included in that figure or do you think such schools would just present an approximation for that category?
  • martel_pridemartel_pride Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Having spent 4 years in Nashville and VU, I strongly recommend AGAINST going to Vandy as an Asian myself.

Nashville has been one of the most racist places I have ever lived in my life. You can go around town and the only types of Asians people know of are Chinese and Japanese (and in fact I have been asked the "Are you Chinese or Japanese" question plenty of times. Vanderbilt is the most diverse place in the entire city and if you're OK with staying within the 'bubble', then I guess it can be OK. Even within Vandy, there is a strong tendency for Asians to just hang out with Asians without branching out as a result.

Plus, outside of this, the dating life at Vanderbilt sucks for Asians. People discriminate, but don't admit it just because it is not kosher to do so. I would recommend going to a bigger city, not some podunk town like Nashville. Worst 4 years of my life.
  • Happy2102Happy2102 Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    @martel_pride Do you know if the teachers discriminate against Asians as well? There was a ton of this at my school. To name just one example, one white student wrote on a quiz "I have honestly not read the book and cannot complete this quiz" and got 100%. My other Asian friend wrote the same thing on the same test and got a 0%. Yet another example is that teachers let the white students retake tests, but never the Asians. Is it like that at Vandy?
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist Honorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    To name just one example, one white student wrote on a quiz "I have honestly not read the book and cannot complete this quiz" and got 100%. My other Asian friend wrote the same thing on the same test and got a 0%.
    I am sorry, but I find this to be so unlikely that I doubt anyone believes that is a true story. Are you saying they conspired to see what would happen? It just doesn't pass the smell test.
    I can assure you that it is true. I don't know how to prove it to you, but it is. The white student was in theater, and they had a performance the night before. So PERHAPS the teacher thought that it was ok to exempt her from the quiz. However, I find that ridiculous and unfair. Extracurriculars are chosen by the student, so the student should accept the consequences of those extracurriculars.

There are many other stories. In my Spanish class, there were only two Asians including me. My Spanish teacher constantly mixed up our names by "accident". I can understand it happening on the first day of school, but in May? Really? Do Asians really look that similar?
  • PancakedPancaked Registered User Posts: 3,355 Senior Member
    I would take martel_pride's words with a grain of salt. He was at Vandy as a graduate student, and they are entirely disconnected from the undergraduate population.

The student population is not racist, nor is the Nashville population is racist. In fact Nashville has been voted the "Friendliest city" in the nation and is also ranked 1 for "best overall people"... Maybe this person just had a bad experience around particular graduate students and city dwellers. Nashville even has some incredible Asian cuisine that Vandy students frequent.

Some Asian students tend to self-segregate, but that just some students, and is a personal choice. Asian students who choose to be a part of the entire student body and not just the Asian community are integrated just like anyone else.

Teachers to not discriminate.
    Pancaked- Thank you very much. This racism was a really big deal for me and had a really negative effect on me. I'm hoping to have a new start at college.
    I can't imagine that you'd find a racist teacher at any respectable college. Unlike in highschool, they would lose their job and reputation very quickly.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,311 Senior Member
    I wouldn't trust rankings like that. They tend to only measure certain characteristics and then measure them in somewhat questionable ways (for example, I can imagine ways to measure "friendliness" and "best people" without taking into account race relations, multi-culturalism, and demographics within a city). Atlanta, for example, has been known to get some interesting, often contradictory, top rankings by some agencies. Regardless, I can't really imagine Vandy or Nashville being anything like martel describes it. Seems to be hyperbole. As for a racist teacher (at least blatantly).....uh no.
    I didn't mention the rankings to say they're totally accurate, just to suggest Nash is known for being friendly.
    I agree with Pancaked in that professors do not discriminate. Far from it, for that matter. It's a very diverse faculty from all over the world.

Asians tend to self-segregate wherever you go. I tended to go for a more diversity in the people around me. No other further comments to what Pancaked said because I am but one data point, but just telling it like I saw it because like most graduate students, most of our social life is off-campus.
    I will also add - so that I don't sound like a complete debbie-downer on VU, that there were a few neat things that I appreciated about VU. While I am outspoken my social experience around Nashville, I will say that academically, you'd be making a good decision.

Profs are among the most laid-back that I've met in my life. It's hard to see them as super-important in their respective fields because of how much they break the stereotypes of what scholars should be like.

For those in science & engineering, there is a pretty good chance of getting into a lab for research experience. If you have multiple schools on your list, this is really where that student-to-faculty ratio plays in. For every open lab spot at VU, there are less applicants per spot than if you were at a huge state university. The main thing is that for those of you who are bio/medicine people, the fact that a large medical center is right on campus is really key. Facilities are among the best in the US (although this depends on field), and the amount of collaboration is pretty high - you may be in a chemistry lab but interact regularly with medical doctors who may be the end-users of your products.

These all would be very different if it was a very racist academic environment. Therefore, when I made my original post, I was simply referring to life around Nashville, and in a few cases, around VU.
This discussion has been closed.