Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Does Vanderbilt require two years of foreign language in high school?

Harlan95Harlan95 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
edited August 2013 in Vanderbilt University
I'm a high school senior, and I'm considering applying to Vanderbilt if I can raise my ACT score, but I'm also wondering if Vanderbilt requires two years of foreign language to even apply to the school because I've not had any. I've taken a load of AP, College Prep, and dual-credit classes but no foreign language. Am I screwed without foreign language??? Please help.
Post edited by Harlan95 on

Replies to: Does Vanderbilt require two years of foreign language in high school?

• PancakedPancaked Registered User Posts: 3,355 Senior Member
    Vandy Admissions FAQ
    Vanderbilt does not prescribe a specific distribution of high school coursework requirements, but most competitive applicants will have completed four full years of coursework in the five core academic areas of English, Math, Social Science, Laboratory Science, and Foreign Language. It is acceptable for a student to drop one of these areas in the senior year in order to take a second course in an area of greater interest, but the admissions committee will likely question a record that falls significantly short of the above curriculum.
  • Harlan95Harlan95 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Thank you!!
  • austinareadadaustinareadad Registered User Posts: 671 Member
    ^ That is surprising because the Common Data Set states that only two years of a foreign language are required or recommended.
  • lenny2lenny2 Registered User Posts: 713 Member
    I'm sure it depends on the major and college you are interested in. The engneering school may not be so concerned with foreign language, but liberal arts may look for it.
This discussion has been closed.