Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Freshman registration

Replies to: Freshman registration

• adaven01adaven01 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Can any parents with incoming sophomores comment on the math classes?150 versus 140?i read that 150 is no longer departmental exams so does that mean it is doable?
  • SorrentoSorrento Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Just a reminder: Student health forms are due today. (I think it was July 1, not June 1, last year.) I see a hold on daughter's YES registration account re immunization forms and am assuming that will be removed by the time she registers in about a week.
  • impressionisticimpressionistic Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    So if we will be using AP or IB credit to place into higher classes, can we not register for those until Vandy receives the score? I'm using my IB Spanish score to place into Spanish 201, but IB won't send Vandy the score until July. Can I go ahead and register for 201 and Vandy will let me as long as it later receives the score?
  • PancakedPancaked Registered User Posts: 3,355 Senior Member
    I believe that you can register without the score. Sometimes YES will throw an error that you have not met the prerequisites. You may want to ask your adviser or the registrar (I would start with your adviser, even though the registrar is more qualified to answer).
  • huehuehue32huehuehue32 Registered User Posts: 555 Member
    How do you figure out who your adviser is? I need to discuss AP credit and stuff before my registration on the ninth to make sure I sign up for the right classes.
  • jrmama496jrmama496 Registered User Posts: 295 Junior Member
    It should have been sent to you via email to your Vanderbilt account. In addition, it is listed when you sign into YES.
  • huehuehue32huehuehue32 Registered User Posts: 555 Member
    On YES it says that I have no adviser. I guess I should try to contact the registrar
  • yellowgranite56yellowgranite56 Registered User Posts: 315 Member
    Was everyone that registers the week of June 9th able to get hold of their advisor this past week? Were you able to get hold of him/her when you called or did you have to wait for a call back? How long did you spend discussing classes? Sorry for all the questions!
  • SurvivorFanSurvivorFan Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    @yellowgranite56‌

I am registering June 16, but my advisor sent an e-mail on Thursday telling us that we could begin calling her. She picked up when I called and we talked for 10-15 minutes about classes and then she sent me an e-mail.
  • SorrentoSorrento Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    My daughter simply exchanged emails with her adviser (who could see what classes she had put into her cart). This was sufficient for her at this stage. The adviser also directed her to others who could better answer questions regarding, for example, AP credit, prerequisites, and the immunization hold.
    How does the registration work? There is a submit button you press and it all happens at once? What if there are classes in the cart that have the same time slots? Does it randomly choose? My DD has 7 freshman writing seminars in her cart (she registers next week) and wonder if this will be a problem. Thanks for any input anyone has on the process. She has her advisor appointment tomorrow.
    @yellowgranite56
    You click which ones you want to enroll. Then, there is a submit button at the bottom. It took me a couple minutes to figure this out today, but fortunately, I still got the classes I wanted.
    My DD wants to take Chem 102. There are a few seats open in the 8 a.m. class (the one she wants), and a later class with more available seats. Can she select both of them in the hopes that she will get the 8 a.m. class, or can she only select one Chem 102 option? Since she is in the final group registering next week, the classes are going to fill up. She may not have a chance to go back in and play around with the class schedule. I really hope she gets one of the freshman seminar classes that she wants. She has 7 of them in her box in the hopes that she will get one of them.
    She can put both in her cart and then click which she wants to take next week.
    I am pretty sure that I saw a list of what classes are typically offered in the fall, spring, and what ones are only offered in certain years a few weeks ago, but I can no longer find that. Does anyone have a link to it?
This discussion has been closed.