Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

communications at vandy

tkg1999tkg1999 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
Hi!!
I think I'm applying ED to Vandy this year, but I wanted to know how good (or bad) the Communications major is! I know Vandy isnt exactly famous for Communications but I really liked the school and was hoping it would be good enough that I could still go there

Replies to: communications at vandy

• Faline2Faline2 Registered User Posts: 4,217 Senior Member
    Vandy has a very strong and respected Communications major. The head of CNN DC is a Vandy grad and many Vandy grads have found employment in media related positions. There is a center on campus named for John Seigenthaler you should examine and read about. Go to the Communications academic dept page. They also produce a newspaper a year on the subject of media career graduates and their employment for alum. best wishes
  • AdmitAgainAdmitAgain Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Agree with Faline2. Lots of opportunity to build a portfolio while at Vandy. Northwestern and NYU still have better connections for employment after college in my opinion.
  • kempettekempette Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    I was a CMST major at Vandy (with the above mentioned CNN head, actually). I can't speak for the program today, but in the stone ages it was a great program with excellent faculty. It's not a media degree- much more emphasis on rhetorical analysis and communication in general, so a lot depends on what you want to do with your degree. If I had to do it all again however, I would.
This discussion has been closed.