Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Weighted vs unweighted GPA

AdmitAgainAdmitAgain Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
Does anyone know (from the Admissions Department), does Vanderbilt use weighted or unweighted GPAs from their freshmen admits when calculating the average GPA for their Profile?

Replies to: Weighted vs unweighted GPA

• AdmitAgainAdmitAgain Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Does anyone have an opinion? I know Vandy likes to see a challenging curriculum but does the student have to take some "pre-calc" vs stats or other math? Does an A in an AP count higher than an A in H or regular when Vanderbilt is calculating the student's GPA?
  • Senior2016MSenior2016M Registered User Posts: 368 Member
    If your school offers pre-calc, that's an expectation. If they offer AP Calc, that's a semi expectation, unless you take plenty of other APs in other subject areas and do well. Does an A in an AP reflect better than an A in a less rigorous course? Obviously it does, silly question. If you're between pre calc and AP Stats, generally you should choose pre calc. (I was in this same position. Granted, I chose AP Stats and I'm here now, but I think that was because I had so many other things that overshadowed this).
  • PancakedPancaked Registered User Posts: 3,355 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    Tor the average GPA. they're using unweighted. Every school weights courses so differently that it would be senseless to use weighted GPA for anything.
This discussion has been closed.