Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Vanderbilt Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

Replies to: Vanderbilt Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

• olliebirdolliebird Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi everyone! I am a current second-year at the University of Tennessee (Knoxville) applying to the CAS at VU for the 2019-2020 academic year. I'm a Junior by credits from AP and a fast-paced schedule but many of those don't count towards my major so they're somewhat irrelevant. Anyhow...

College Stats:
    GPA: 3.59 (really competitive honors organic chemistry classes and higher level math courses)
    Major: Applied Mathematics (on Pre-Med).
    Credits completed at time of application: 87
    Current School: UTK

High School Stats:
    GPA: 3.43 (horrible Junior year and home-life interference)
    Top 40% of my class
    ACT: 32

Work:
    - I worked as a lifeguard during my Junior and Senior years of High School.
    - Freelance Math tutoring in the greater Knoxville area ~12 hours each week.
    - Just applied to be a tutor at the Mathnasium center.

Research:
    I've worked in a BioTech lab researching enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay technology to identify pathogens in bovine in agricultural communities amounting to $USD 3,000,000 losses each year. The same principles may be used to identify pathogens (viral and bacterial as it targets DNA sequences) in humans at later dates. I'm praying that we'll be published before March 15th.

EC's:
    -Founded a chapter for Volunteers Around the World and organized a medical outreach trip to Vietnam last May of 2018 where we provided care to 804 children in the Can Gio province South of Saigon. I had to quit due to philosophical differences between myself and the organization. They were for-profit and mistreated some of the in-country staff who I had befriended. I also spoke to the COO and founder of the company via Skype expressing my concerns. I'm making sure to make this very clear in my application. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat hesitant to put this under "Experiences" as they ask if they may contact my supervisor(s) and my supervisors were really disgusted with me for quitting. Any thoughts?
    - Pledge of Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society. I couldn't turn in my application for membership as it had to be handwritten and I had hip surgery done that disallowed me from being able to meet the deadline.
    - Member of the UT Powerlifting Club
    - Member of the UT Intramural swim team
    - In high school, I headed an Angel Tree for my Key Club during the Holiday Season for two years that provided $100 of gifts and food to 100 less-privileged kids in my hometown (amounting to $10,000). I sought out funding from Rotary International and organized the buying and delivering of gifts.

LOR's:
    -Organic professor- both orgos. hopefully discusses positive trends since beginning and how I can apply my learning to my field.
    -English instructor- faculty sponsor for VAW that I founded. Was really fond of me. I actually wrote him a letter of rec that won him funding for a trip to Kazakhstan to teach English to children there for a year. I think he'll represent me well.
    -Personal Recommendation by one of my best friends (currently a student at Vandy). Can speak to positive growth and what I'd add to the community (hopefully xD)
    -High School French Teacher- had her the last two years of hs. She saw positive trends in my academics and leadership skills. We've kept up and she can speak to my engagement with students of diverse backgrounds and my pursuits in global medicine.

I'm hoping to take an angle that shows positive trends since high school and how I've developed as a leader. Please feel free to critique me. Sorry for such a long post!
  • min517min517 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hey everyone! I'm applying as a sophomore transfer for fall 2019 as well:) Here are my stats:

Current school: top 20 private university
    Race: white and Native American (Cherokee Nation)
    Home state: Ohio
    ACT: 35 composite (36M, 36S, 34E, 34R)
    High school GPA: 4.936 weighted
    Class rank (high school): 1/305

College GPA: 4.00 (no honors program available as freshman, but I took a very full course load with notorious premed weed-out classes)
    High school ECs: competitive gymnast from 2008-2018 (stopped due to torn achilles), varsity cross country runner (HS), private viola lessons, peer tutoring, Key Club treasurer
    College ECs: Figure skating club president and founder, Women in STEM club member, tutor for Varsity Tutors, nanoscience lab research job
    Intended major: chemical engineering

Awards/honors: Junior Olympic gymnastics gold medalist, three-time Junior Olympic gymnastics silver medalist, two-time Junior Olympic gymnastics bronze medalist, US national gymnastics champion, US national gymnastics bronze medalist, fifteen-time Ohio state gymnastics champion, six-time Ohio state gymnastics silver medalist, six-time Ohio state gymnastics bronze medalist, Ohio High School Athletic Association Scholar Athlete award, valedictorian, Summa Cum Laude latin honors, University of Cincinnati Behavioral Science Award, Ohio Soybean Association Research Award, Anderson Hills Educational Foundation Scholarship, Dean's list, and Phi Eta Sigma Honor Fraternity.

Hooks: Junior Olympic gold medalist and US national champion in gymnastics, had to provide for family due to long-term medical issues last fall and winter while balancing school, ECs, and applications

Reasons for transferring: my current school does not have an engineering department, emphasis on undergraduate research involvement (VINSE specifically for me), students are passionate about more than just their school work

I applied as a freshman, but my application was really scattered due to severe family problems at the time where I had take over as one of the heads of household temporarily. I'm really hoping for applications this year to go better:) Best of luck to everyone applying!
  • goldandblack12goldandblack12 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm looking to transfer as a junior in 2020 from BU. I saw a stat that said that sophomore transfer comprise of about 80 percent of total transfers. Is it disadvantageous to attempt to transfer as a rising junior as opposed to a rising sophomore?
  • whata777whata777 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    One thing required by Vanderbilt is the College Transfer Report. Is this something you would print off and take to the registrar at your current institution? If not the registrar, than whom?
  • AshtashAshtash Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    @whata777 Typically, yes. It has to be filled out by someone that can verify you’re in good standing both behaviorally & academically. I emailed my registrar and had to send it to the student conduct office so they could fill out the behavior part then they forwarded it to the registrar, so that they could fill out the academic part. I would have your registrar send it to the schools because I think I saw that someone had sent it from themselves and one of the schools wanted it to come directly from the registrar or something like that. I just filled out the part I needed and scanned a copy to the person I needed to receive it. I then emailed the registrar a list of the schools and addresses and they sent it right over.
  • sstayingpositivesstayingpositive Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    @ashtash they never asked for the behavioral part like to my behavioral section of my school, I just have it to the registrar. oh no.
  • AshtashAshtash Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    @sstayingpositive If your registrar accepted it then they'll fill it out! The only reason I had to send mine there first is because the registrar requested it. Each school operates differently. I think that people usually just have to send theirs to the registrar for the most part(:
  • limitdoesnotexist1limitdoesnotexist1 Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    Hi everyone, I'm also applying for Fall transfer! I go to a New Jersey community college and will be getting my biology associate degree in May :)
    Did anyone send in their transcripts yet? It looks like the college transcripts are handled by sending to the common app. Does anyone know if Vanderbilt requires transcript be sent directly to them in addition of the one sent to the common app? And there is no place for the high school transcript so is it safe to assume that should be sent directly to the general undergraduate admission office address? Thanks for any insights!
    I had my college and my high school send directly to the undergraduate admission office address. The transcripts haven't ben received yet but I sent them less than a week ago and it was a holiday weekend.
    I just checked and the college transcript actually was received so it's safe to send the transcript directly to their address.
  • sstayingpositivesstayingpositive Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Hi, does anyone know when we can start expecting decisions? I know applications aren't even due yet, but I was just wondering what to expect.
    last year it was late April
  • relo30relo30 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Based on the last few years, my hunch is April 23rd.
  • polyscidreamerpolyscidreamer Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    Has anyone finished their application yet?