Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Vanderbilt University Early Decision II

Replies to: Vanderbilt University Early Decision II

• megustacoffeemegustacoffee Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    wait, seriously?!?! :D AH
    and did u get in?? by the looks of the :D i would hope so.
  • PersnicketPersnicket Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Now comes the wait! I'm in Florida, so hopefully mine will come Monday or Tuesday.
  • raksudumraksudum Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    Oh man I am so nervous!! No mail Sunday =( Gotta wait till Monday...
    Hey rupee2, do you mind posting your stats? It would help a lot. Thanks.
  • rupee2rupee2 Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    Sure! I don't mind.

I am a white female living in Tennessee; Vanderbilt is in Nashville, TN.

Stats:
    High School: over 2000 students, fairly competitive, top 5% usually get into top 20 schools
    ACT: 29
    Class Rank: 25/500; top 6%
    GPA UW: 3.7
    GPA W: 4.42
    Classes:
    9th: Spanish II (B) Algebra I (B) English 9 Honors (A) World History Honors (A) Biology Honors (A) Symphonic Band (A)

10th: English 10 Honors (A) Algebra II Honors (B) Geometry Honors (B) Chemistry Honors (B) Spanish III Honors (A) JROTC (A)

11th: AP English Language and Comp (A) Precalculus Honors (A) JROTC (A) Physics Honors (A) AP US History (A) Spanish IV Honors (A)

12th: AP Calculus AB (A) JROTC III (A) AP European History (A) Economics/Government (A) AP English Literature and Composition (A) IB Spanish 5 (A)

EC's
    JROTC - second in command
    Cross country (varsity)
    Track (varsity)
    Pentathlon Team (varsity)
    NHS
    Spanish NHS
    Mu Alpha Theta

I received an NROTC scholarship this past January and have been placed in the unit at Vanderbilt

I also have a job at a fast food restaurant starting summer before senior year to present and work 12-15 hours a week. I give the money to my parents to help pay for car expenses, mostly.

I applied ED II to Vanderbilt College of Arts and Sciences; turned the application in one month early.

Recs: GC was generic but highlighted motivation and higher grades as years passed. Teacher recs from math and Spanish teacher; excellent, showed my dedication, as Spanish and math were very difficult subjects for me to keep top marks in.

Essay: I wrote about the eye condition I have called esophoria. It makes reading and retaining information very difficult because only one eye is taking information in at a time; most people who have this condition do not read for enjoyment and are in mostly lowest level classes. I got glasses to correct this the summer before my senior year. Essay highlights motivation and dedication to schoolwork as a result of this "handicap."
    Thank you so much! I have hope now! I am an Asian American. I got a 31 on ACT and have a uw GPA: 3.76 and W GPA: 4.556 and literally the same classes haha. The uwGPA went up to 3.78 and wGPA went up to 4.60 but I didn't really send them the mid year report. I really really hope they accept me. I am still nervous. But thanks again!
    I hope all us CC'ers get in!! and my stats are similar to your stats as well!
  • rbelenszrbelensz Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Persnicket: are you from stuart???!?
    lol random, i know. but i did EDII also to Blair and i remember talking to a guy at the auditions last week when i went and he also did EDII and was from stuart, fl.
    Hey rupee2 was the envelope kind of fat? or was it just like a letter and skinny?
  • rupee2rupee2 Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    like a letter and skinny. I was so scared when I saw it, ha.
  • babygrl9205babygrl9205 . Posts: 596 Member
    lol im not even scared. i'll probably get rejected anyways haha it was just the only school that had ED 2 that i wouldn't mind going to...since i only applied that and brown as far as ivies. oh well. i wish i got into NYU, but i didn't. : [
  • Newark WilderNewark Wilder Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    I just got my acceptance letter!!! Best. News. Ever.

I'm also a white female living in Tennessee.
    GPA: 4.0 unweighted
    ACT: 34 composite
    SAT: 1560 index (800 CR/760 M/800 W)
    AP: 5 on APUSH, AP English Language; taking three more this year

Extra-c's: Key Club president, literary magazine editor, Young Democrats president, Environmental Club vice-president, Student Council curriculum chair, varsity girls soccer

Other stuff: National Merit Finalist, Volunteer Girls State, Governor's School for the Humanities, state essay contest winner, some regional math and writing awards

Essay: I thought it was good. I used the one I wrote for UNC about how not being able to play guitar well has taught me to pursue some hobbies less zealously and to relax more.

Recommendations: The two teacher recommendations were golden. One, especially, was terrific, because the teacher adores me, and he also thought the application was being sent to Princeton, where he wanted me to go. The guidance recommendation was pretty bad; my counselor doesn't know me very well. I got a supplemental letter from the vice-chancellor of Tennessee-Martin where I went to Governor's School this summer.

I'm so happy right now! Vanderbilt is my dream school.
    I got rejected. Well, good luck guys and congrats to those who made it. You should be proud of yourselves.
    i got rejected too ^_^
    Yeah man, it's cool though luck plays a big part in the admissions process. We were all qualified... just wasn't us. What are your other schools you are looking at? My 2nd choice is USC, can't miss LA ;)
This discussion has been closed.