Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Oxtoby ISBN

feenotypefeenotype Registered User Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
edited August 2005 in Vanderbilt University
I forgot who, but somebody had wanted the ISBN of the chem 102 books since th bookstore is all greedy and doesn't give them away. Anyway, according to the bookstore site they're still using oxtoby and the latest edition is the 4th acording to the brooks/cole. It's ISBN is 0030331889. The solutions manual ISBN is 0030332389 and the study guide ISBN is 003033231. Note that are other things you'll probably have to buy, an OWL access code for sure.

Also, please don't consider this set in stone. It's most likely they're still using the 4th edition and the chance of 5th edition showing up in three days and everybody having kept it a secret until now it is very slim.
Post edited by feenotype on

Replies to: Oxtoby ISBN

• ecnerwalc3321ecnerwalc3321 Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    is the solution manual a requirement? (I know it's helpful to have one).

ps. THanks for taking your time to find this out for us!
  • slipstream99slipstream99 Registered User Posts: 1,930 Senior Member
    so how safe do you think it is to buy the 4th edition? at the bookstore, the textbook is $151 USED, while superbookdeals.com has it NEW for only $70, so I'd definitely rather buy it before I get to school.
  • ecnerwalc3321ecnerwalc3321 Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    see, it really all depends. At my high school, students HAVE to buy books. some editions vary only with CD's and online features that the ordinary student wouldn't care about (or at least iin high school) - the contents didn't change. Others change only the format. Some others change everything. So you could potentially get away with buying an older edition.
  • feenotypefeenotype Registered User Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    The supplements are not required. Hell, you don't HAVE to buy the textbook if you don't want to if you think you could make do with notes alone (but I would NOT take that much of a chance).

As far as how much of a safe bet buying the 4th ed. is, I really don't know. I can't make that call for you. All I can give you is that according to the bookstore, they're still using Oxtoby's book and according the publisher the latest Oxtoby book is the 4th ed. I also know that the books were brand new when I took 102a in 2003 and two years is plenty of time in the textbook publishing world to come out with a new edition.

Really, you're safest bet is to bow to the will of the bookstore. Resistance is futile, don't you know. Or you could email your professor.

Oh, and another thing while I'm thinking about it. Buy some googles on your own. Spare yourself from having to buy the $30 googles form the bookstore. Make sure they're OSHA-quality.
  • slipstream99slipstream99 Registered User Posts: 1,930 Senior Member
    thanks for the advice. i guess i will submit to the overwhelming power of the bookstore :)

are the glasses-type goggles okay?
  • feenotypefeenotype Registered User Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    no idea, they sell the huge goggles at the bookstore, so I'd get that so that your TA doesn't get on you or something
This discussion has been closed.