Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help an ex-soldier get back into college?

LeonardtobyLeonardtoby Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited May 2014 in Veterans
Didnt really know where to put this but I was hoping this would be an appropriate place. I have just turned 21 and was released from the army. I would love the opportunity to pursue a college degree but am unable to do so financially. I would truly appreciate any support given! I know its a little too much to ask but if you could, please take a look at my page and help me with my dream :) Thanksssssss

Post edited by sybbie719 on

Replies to: Help an ex-soldier get back into college?

  • SFS RulesSFS Rules Registered User Posts: 354 Member
    edited May 2014
    Is the GI Bill not an option? And a little academic background (Army credits, community college, Excelsior, CLEP, HS stats, ACT/SAT, etc) will help.
  • WFDD89WFDD89 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    If you have released from the Army, and can't pursue a college degree because you're unable to do so financially tells me that you were not released from the service under Honorable condition? I don't know what your circumstances are but here are a few options: 1) You can utilize the educational benefits such as Post 9/11 GI Bill or Montgomery GI Bill (You can find more information regarding these benefits on the VA website). 2) Go to a school that you would like to attend, and seek a Veteran Service Coordinator or VA rep who can help you start the process. 100% of the time, they are going to ask you to provide the school with DD214 (Certificate of Discharge Paper), which you should have, to determine if you're eligible for the GI Bill or not. I just got discharged from the Marine Corps, and attending at a public state school in NC, so if you have any questions, let me know. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.