Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Just when is too late?

twerdisnaktwerdisnak Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I attended University of Houston for a couple of years then DLIWC for 37 weeks Russian Language in 1968. While I still remember and even dream in Russian - I am not fluent as I was back then for lack of practice. In fact, my German is still quite good - immersion 3 years - where most did not speak English. Am I just dreaming of a degree in the future or is 70 years old too late to think about college again? My last year at UofH was 1971 - just one course - calculus - just to see if I could hack it after my 4 years as a soldier. (by the way I passed)

Replies to: Just when is too late?

• NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 4,085 Senior Member
    It’s never too late! If you can afford it, why not?
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,504 Forum Champion
    edited June 2018
    Agree -- it is never too late. Some colleges even have programs and services specifically geared for non-traditional students.
  • NHufferNHuffer Forum Champion GWU Posts: 948 Forum Champion
    I concur that it's never too late. In fact, I'm hoping/planning on taking courses after retirement as I'm a strong advocate of life-long learning.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,627 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    We have a thread somewhere about adults heading back to school now that our children are grown. There are quite a few of us. My thought was that someday I'll be 80 or 90, and I can be 80 or 90 with the education I want or without it. I wanted to set a good example for my children so I chose to go back to school. So far, I love it.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,904 Forum Champion
    You could also ask:
    Do I need a college degree?
    Do I want a college degree?
    Do I just want to learn the material?
  • NikkolinaNikkolina Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    The main thing is to have a great desire and desire, everything will turn out.
  • Dancingmom518Dancingmom518 Registered User Posts: 315 Member
    Go for it!