right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Back to CC or apply as a transfer?

samirelcubanosamirelcubano 1 replies2 threads New Member
Hey guys, I'm currently 9 months away from separation and my goal is to get CS BS from either UCLA or USC. Before joining the military neither university even crossed my mind as I nor my parents would've been able to afford it, but the GI Bill has eliminated that concern.
I attended community college before enlisting however I just wasn't mature or responsible enough to handle college; I was 16 at the time. So I did that for 2 years, walked into the recruiter's office as soon as I turned 18, and that was it. Is my military service, and a good SAT score (1490+) enough to cancel out my 2.89 GPA and get me into either? Or should I not even bother with retaking the SAT, attend CC again, and then finally transfer. Thanks for reading.
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Back to CC or apply as a transfer?

• seabee91seabee91 110 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I also attended college before my enlistment and did poorly. I decided to attend a CC here in CA and NOT use my GI bill benefits, because I want to save 2 years for grad school. The difference in grades from before the Navy to now is the type of upward trend universities like to see. They won't worry too much about your past grades if you're doing really well now. (At least thats what every recruiter from every college I've visited has told me.) I've been attending a CC for a year, and I'm going to finish this spring.

I'm currently in the process of applying for USC in the Fall of 2020.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity