right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Villanova Acceptance Rates

STEM2017STEM2017 4122 replies98 threads Senior Member
Can anyone help with the following admission rate stats?

ED 1 - ?
Early Action - ?
ED 2 - ?
Regular Decision - ?

Started looking through the threads but couldn't find anything.

Trying to help S21 to decide which avenue gives him the best chance.

Thanks.
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Villanova Acceptance Rates

• LindagafLindagaf 11428 replies607 threads Super Moderator
    ED1 is always the best option, if the school is his #1 choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • STEM2017STEM2017 4122 replies98 threads Senior Member
    Thanks @Lindagaf ! Actually, he's using ED1 at another school so he's deciding between ED2 and EA at Villanova. I'm just looking for the stats to help him.

I've heard that Villanova has a reputation of giving most ED1 acceptances to legacies and athletes (my son is neither).
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 11428 replies607 threads Super Moderator
    ED is the ultimate sign of interest and commitment. How badly does he want to get in?
    · Reply · Share
    @Lindagaf

He's choosing BC (a super reach) for ED1.

Villanova (another super reach) is his second choice.

They are both long shots but he's realistic and has other options.
    · Reply · Share
  • MAmom111MAmom111 305 replies15 threads Member
    @STEM2017 would love to hear your son’s other choices. My S22 likes both of these schools as well but they would be pretty big reaches for him. Would love to hear what other “similar” schools you are using for reaches and matches.
    · Reply · Share
  • evergreen5evergreen5 2164 replies39 threads Senior Member
    edited October 18
    @MAmom111 It depends on which aspects he is most drawn to. I'd look at Jesuit and otherwise Catholic schools - Fordham, Providence College, Loyola Chicago, the other Loyolas, Fairfield, Gonzaga. For a California flavor, Santa Clara, LMU, USD. Gonzaga and Loyola Chicago have a basketball spirit similar to Villanova.

If it's the mid-size sporty angle, then look at TCU, U Miami (have football).
    edited October 18
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 18
    @STEM2017 My rough understanding is that Villanova didn't have an official ED2 in the past - they'd offer it to select people in the middle of the cycle or something. And VSB might be another story altogether, I'm not sure. Reading older threads, I wonder whether they've got a bit of yield protection going on, but from the virtual info offerings, it sounds like they don't consider demonstrated interest quite as heavily as, say, SCU.

2020-21 CDS with 2024 data should be available "mid-Oct" per the website.

What I have so far: from CDS for 2023, ED 57%, from an article, EA 25%, the bulk of their apps. But from there, my calculations don't make sense, because I come up with RD only around 11%, which can't be right. I need to take another crack at it, let me see...

Also, here's another poster's calculation: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22577366/#Comment_22577366
    edited October 18
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2775 replies23 threads Senior Member
    Consider Dayton. Friendly culture and good sports. People I know there all love it. Good merit aid opportunities.
    · Reply · Share
    @MAmom111 BC and Villanova are the only two Catholic schools he's applying to (right now). The rest of his list is a big mix. His major is comp sci so he has lots of options.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks @evergreen5 Very helpful. We're really just trying to figure out whether ED2 or EA gives him a better edge.
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 18
    What I might consider then: apply EA, get response Jan 15, which is also the day RD/ED2 apps are due. If deferred, ask to convert to ED2. Ah, here, they may be hoping for that:
    Our deadline for deferred Early Action candidates or students who previously selected Regular Decision as their application plan to change to Early Decision II is February 1.
    https://www1.villanova.edu/university/undergraduate-admission/applying-to-villanova/dates-and-deadlines.html

I suspect they have challenges with yield. I really wish they'd provide their EA answer in Dec. On the bright side, the Feb 1 deadline allows the applicant to receive most other late EA results.

If I recall, BC didn't do a ton of deferring in their first year of ED, maybe 20% compared to the old 40% under EA, so hopefully you'd get a clear answer one way or the other.
    edited October 18
    · Reply · Share
    Very helpful @evergreen5 Thank you!
    · Reply · Share