right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

VT University Studies?

MomtoAndrew2018MomtoAndrew2018 183 replies38 threads Junior Member
edited July 2017 in Virginia Tech
From reading threads on this forum it seems like VT's University Studies is their version of "undeclared" major. Correct? As an undeclared major at VT, is there any restrictions to certain majors that apply to 'undeclared' students? What about CS and Engineering majors?
edited July 2017
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: VT University Studies?

  • JustGraduateJustGraduate 658 replies14 threads Member
    University Studies is for undeclared students, There's also a new program like this that's just starting this fall - XT Explore Technology which seems to be geared towards those who might be interested technical field. Just heard about it from parents who attended the first orientation session. Search for it on the VT website, there's a little info there.

    University Studies students have the same restrictions / requirements for transferring into restricted majors like engineering as the rest of the student body. Some majors have minimum GPA requirements for transfer into the major and may require specific courses be taken before making the transfer. Pamplin College of Business is one example, but there are a few others. CoE transfer is now on a space available basis, and requires specific courses be taken before applying to transfer. Eligible students apply for transfer, are GPA ranked, and admitted to their requested engineering major (CS, ME, etc) IF there's space available. This is a new process and it's too early to understand the impact. In general VT seems to be moving toward allowing fewer internal CoE transfers.
    · Reply · Share
  • Hokie_gl32Hokie_gl32 186 replies2 threads Junior Member
    As undeclared (univ studies) you will be barred from restricted major courses like anyone else. To get into engineering you essentially take the freshman engineering curriculum (intro engineering I is closed to non engineers in fall, so you have to wait till spring and hope they have spaces for non engineers and take II over the summer. Taking them at CC is another option. You have to declare a major outside of univ studies by the time you accrue 60 credits at VT.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomtoAndrew2018MomtoAndrew2018 183 replies38 threads Junior Member
    Thanks to you both!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity