right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Chance me for Engineering (Low GPA)

Vageta17Vageta17 27 replies16 threads Junior Member
I am dying to get into the college of engineering (for Computer Science) but had an abysmal freshman year that seriously stunted my progression.

GPA 3.5 uw 3.7 weighted

Sat: 1300

Extra Curricular:
Skills USA: Vice President
Gifted Club President
Gifted Advisory Board: Parliamentarian
Cyber Patriot: Team Member
Track Team
National Honor Society
National Technical Honor Society
Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society
English Honor Society
Internship: Desktop Support Technician at AECOM
Internship: Jr. Network Engineer for ABS Technology (Cisco Silver Partner)

Honors & Awards:
two Commendations of Distinction (from our school devision Superintendent)
Certificate of Commendation (From Virginia's Governor)
Two time current events state champion
Inter-networking State Champion
Attended the Summer Residential Governor School for Agriculture (Hosted by VT)
Cyber Patriot: National Finalist (Second to TJ high school)
CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Engineer - ( Through Duel Enrollment with my Community College)
Certified in Security+ and Network+ and MTA (Networking) - ( Through Duel Enrollment with my Community College)

These are just a few of my major accomplishments alongside my mediocre GPA. Do you think that this could be enough to offset it or am I too far gone?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance me for Engineering (Low GPA)

• rjldm25rjldm25 43 replies1 threads Junior Member
    What math and sciences classes have you taken? Any honors/AP? What was your math SAT score?
    · Reply · Share
  • Hokie_gl32Hokie_gl32 186 replies2 threads Junior Member
    3.7 isn't ridiculously low. If you are taking a rigorous senior year load and doing well, have a good (680+) math SAT you should have a shot.
    · Reply · Share
  • GradandMomGradandMom 57 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Being selected for Summer Residential Governor School for Agriculture is a note worthy accomplishment. Several years ago, a very experienced NOVA HS teacher told me that every student that she had known selected for Governor's school had been admitted to his/her first choice state school. However, I know of no database where you can confirm this. I also know students who attended Governor's school and were accepted at their first choice college. The application process and the competition to attend Governor's school is rigorous and college admissions officers recognize and appreciate this credential.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity