right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Admission (If someone would be so kind as to lend some advice)

nagato12357nagato12357 0 replies1 threads New Member
I'm a member of the class of 2022 going into my junior year with a GPA of 3.61 , up from a 3.17 freshman year. Please be blunt what are my chances of admission, I received all A's and one b+ sophmore yr compared to all b's , a b+, and a c freshman year, also I have never taken a non honors core class. I'm taking ap physics, regular precalc, english 11hn, dual us history, and dental careers next year. I've recently done research on engineering (Comp Sci specifically)and I was wondering if I could receive advice on what courses I should change for my junior year schedule, while keeping it manageable because I'd like to try and get all A's to boost my GPA. I live in the NOVA area, I'm african-american, I've played football both years and plan on playing all 4, and I'm involved in some clubs. If that effects my chances, also wondering on what else I should do to improve my chances. Thanks!
2 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Admission (If someone would be so kind as to lend some advice)

• ShenVal18ShenVal18 464 replies4 threads Member
    @nagato12357 You're obviously trending in the right direction. That said, you're still early in the process of being able to compare yourself to other students from your own school re: admissions chances. I would recommend the following:

* Check with your guidance office to see if they use Naviance or other tools that track acceptance rates for your school. Then at completion of your Junior year you should have some idea of how you compare to those stats.
    * Take the most challenging coursework that your school has available.
    * Find and participate in extracurriculars that are outside the normal "box" and try and take on leadership roles. These days, every applicant to schools like VT plays varsity sports, is in NHS, etc. The Leadership component can be a differentiator for you.
    * Lastly, please understand that any answer re: your "chances" is 100% guesswork. None of the adults or students who post here have an inside track on admissions, and feedback you get from someone with a student in a different state and/or school system is in many ways useless. (Read past threads for examples).

Oh, and to the last note above... look at and visit a wide range of schools early on.
    · Reply · Share
  • cbl1cbl1 Forum Champion Virginia Tech 948 replies16 threads Forum Champion
    edited July 27
    As ShenVal mentions - get with your guidance councilor as they will know the range of GPA getting into VT. However, your trending up and colleges have always said they look more at the more recent grades then older. So your newer grades on their end should weigh heavier. Keep up the great work. Your junior year is very critical as these will be the last grades you have to submit (especially if do early admission at schools)
    edited July 27
    · Reply · Share