Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Advice appreciated for my sophomore "wanna be" animator

123457»

Replies to: Advice appreciated for my sophomore "wanna be" animator

• moonpiemoonpie Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    I've updated on another thread, but felt like I should update here as well.... for future parents and students. Here's where she stands so far:
    SAIC: admitted, $74,000 scholarship over 4 years (gonna say no)
    SVA: Admitted, $50,000 over 4 years
    SCAD: Admitted, Academic Honors, $42,000 over 4 years, Achievement $20,000 over 4 years ($62,000 total) (likely no)
    LCAD: Admitted, $28,000 over 4 years (likely no)
    Pratt: Admitted, presidential scholarship $104,000 over 4 years ($26,000/yr)
    ETSU: Admitted, full scholarship tuition (not going, not for her)
    CalArts: rejected
    RISD/Brown/USC: waiting LOL.... a few more days!

We are traveling to visit Pratt and SVA in a couple weeks, unless something shakes loose in the miracle "waiting" decisions, Pratt and SVA are going to be vying for my girl in a few weeks! ACKKKKKKK so nerve wracking and exciting!
  • MabarkleyMabarkley Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Congratulations on your daughter's acceptances!

My son is a freshman at SVA and in the end it came down to SCAD and SVA for 2D animation. He ultimately chose SVA for a variety of reasons:
    1) SVA's 2D program does not have a freshman foundation year. Animation students take classes in animation, illustration, history of animation, Story Pitch, Digital Composition, etc. Most other art schools require a foundation year - which is great, if that's what you're looking for. But, for him, he knew he wanted to study animation and was ready to dive right in -- It also helps you figure out sooner (rather than three years down the road) whether this art form is what you really want to pursue.
    2) SVA has a designated 2D curriculum. SCAD's animation curriculum is more combined and seemed a bit more tilted towards 3D. At SVA he will be able to take some 3D animation classes as electives if he wants, but will have more of a 2D focus.
    3) Location - Savannah is beautiful, but SVA has a lot of connections in NY with advertising and graphic design firms, as well as animation studios. We live an hour train ride from NYC, which is great - more for the convenience for us to go in to visit, than for my son to come home. He has only come home for long breaks and spends most of his weekends in the art studios.
    Our son has had a positive experience his freshman year so far. He enjoys his classes and professors and has thrown himself into his work. Basically, it all depends on what is the best fit for your daughter. Whatever she decides, I wish her the best of luck!
  • NYCMomof3NYCMomof3 Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    @Mabarkley my daughter is taking computer animation this summer at SVA. This will hopefully give her an idea of she wants to apply there. We toured the school and I liked it a lot. She was impressed with their program. We live in NYC (not far from SVA) and I'd love to have her close by either at SVA or Pratt. I'm glad to hear your son is happy there.
  • moonpiemoonpie Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    @Mabarkley thank you for your reply!!! The reasons your son likes SVA are the reasons my daughter put it at the top... mostly being able to start off with animation!
  • MabarkleyMabarkley Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    My son did the pre-college animation program at SVA as well (traditional 2-D, though - not computer animation which I think is 3-D). I highly recommend it. He is not really a city kid, so we thought that the 3- week program would be a good test to see if he could live in a big city while he attended college. By the end of the program, he felt much more comfortable with the idea. Given that you live in New York, I doubt that will be an issue for you. But it also gave him a taste for what he'd be doing as an animation student. At the end of the program he attended, each student had completed a short animation clip and all the families were invited to a viewing of the students' work at the SVA theater. It was great seeing all their work on the big screen :)
  • NYCMomof3NYCMomof3 Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    edited March 27
    @Mabarkley thanks so much! Glad he enjoyed his summer at SVA. I'm hoping she also enjoys it. Since she's raised here in the city, she is looking for a school with a real dedicated campus. The thought of being in manhattan for school is a bit off-putting to her. She's been away for three years at a boarding school which is in the middle of farm country and she's enjoying the tranquility but loves coming home to NYC on the weekends. That's why I think PRATT would be a perfect combination since it's in NYC but has a dedicated campus in Brooklyn. I'd also love her to attend SVA since she could walk home from there on nice days. I'm already looking foward to her end of summer animation clip and seeing the work they all have done
123457»
This discussion has been closed.