Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I don't know if this college is right

bluebird22bluebird22 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hey,
This is my first time using this website and I'm a little nervous to post... Right now, I'm going to an art school in Florida for computer animation and I'm not sure if I should stay or not. There's a lot of reasons that I'd like to leave, including the fact that the location of the school itself and the area isn't comfortable or a good fit for me (the school is surrounded by a sort of dangerous area, with frequent reported incidents of mugging and drugs). I also am not a big fan of the weather, being from the northeast and am not used to the humid heat of Florida.
The school also recently got a new Vice President, who is making a lot of unnecessary and frankly ridiculous changes to the semester and the way the classes are run (thanks to him, our semester is now 18 weeks long). The school also doesn't allow students to miss any more than 1 class or they'll deduct points from your final grade, which makes sick days virtually impossible (I've seen students come into class in immense pain and seriously ill, who couldn't afford to miss class that day).
That being said, the education really makes the school. I love what I'm learning and the teachers are helpful and informative, and I really feel like this is what I want to learn. I just don't know if it's worth putting up with the college itself; living here is almost unbearable. I don't know if this is just a college experience, because I've never been anywhere else before, or if it's a problem with the school that could be fixed if I went somewhere else (where that would be, I have no idea).
If I did transfer, I'd be very concerned about prices and money as well, since the profession is obviously not the cheapest one. I am very lucky that I have supportive parents that would help me through that no matter what, but I don't want to have wasted money on this school either.
I apologize for the length of this, but I am really confused about what to do and I really hope I can get another opinion. Thank you.

Replies to: I don't know if this college is right

• gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,942 Senior Member
    What school?
    Ringling? You're at the best for CA if it is. I'm taking a stab at that because of the rules. The rules for missing classes etc do seem harsh but like my D always said--"Employers love Ringling because the students already know how to work and meet deadlines." They get hired too. Don't think it's going to get easier unfortunately. You'll have to decide on your limits. But remember everybody in your class is trying to meet those expectations. You aren't alone. If you love what you're learning then go for it.

Can't do a thing about Florida heat and humidity Man, I wish I could! I'd love for it to lessen also but it's not going away. To me it's thousand times better than ice and snow but it's all about what you're used to (which could mean a bit of homesickness creeps in for you). But CA students usually live their lives in the cool of a computer lab anyways. Grab someone with a car and hit the beach at Siesta key. It's good for the soul--but take sunscreen.

The area around the school has been cleaned up considerably over the years as the college buys extra area and expands its footprint. Just be cautious as you would in any city. I don't think any city lives in a bubble. My D lived there years and never reported any problems.

The changes in semester etc. probably was made for some good reasons that --SURPRISE! they didn't ask for your vote on. I know that wasn't a surprise. Who knows? Given time it may work to your advantage. Or maybe not--but no matter where you go those types of decisions are up to the administration. So feel free to complain but there isn't much you can do about it.

Feel free to rant. It's TOUGH to move to a new area, start a new program, get acclimated to not only a new school but new surroundings (including weather!). Give yourself some room and be kind to yourself--know that things DO take getting used to and not everything is always peachy keen and there will be major ups and downs.
    Keep your eye on the prize!
  • ArtAngstArtAngst Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    The first year anywhere is hard. Give yourself some time to think through this and do more research over break and throughout this first year. It will at least help you feel like you have some options or maybe you'll end up deciding that academically it is the right place for you and the 'grass isn't always greener' at another school.

Over your break you could do some online research of other programs and if you can, visit the campuses. Students won't be there, but you can get a sense of whether you like the surrounding area.

Also it's great that you love your classes and teachers. As you said, that's going to be the biggest impact on what you get out of your education. So many schools are having HUGE financial issues and administrators are under fire so there's tensions between staff, students and admin almost wherever you go. I adjunct in an art department so have an inside peak of this and hear the complaints from my students all semester. Again, long term what's important is what YOU get out of your education.

But I'll play devil's advocate to @gouf78 - the overall environment of where you are does make a difference mentally and emotionally. But I agree with him, get out and about and find out what's special about where you are now. At the same time, also do lots of research this school year and see what your other options are, visit as much as you can, talk to instructors and students at other schools, etc. No matter what you decide, it will help you feel more in control of your future.
This discussion has been closed.