Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Art School admission 2017


Replies to: Art School admission 2017

  • moonpiemoonpie Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    Rejected from RISD... but we are all good! Helps narrow the choices!! Now we focus on 4 still on the list!
  • CAShirlCAShirl Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    Rejected also. but she is doing well. She is going to take a look at Pratt's program, but I think she will probably be Ringling bound.
  • julyleswk9julyleswk9 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    RISD said they accepted less than 25% of the applicants this year so it was tough...
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 4,436 Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    Could be wrong but I thought previous acceptance stats were something like 37% of competed apps., 25% of total or something like that. Art schools can be a bit tricky - they get a LOT of partial applications (I think my D had one or two as well . . ). Sometimes the applicant will complete everything but the portfolio requirement, or not upload the requisite fees, etc. The RISD Fact Books tells it all, so helpful to look on there for the breakout. Like any other selective school, RISD is becoming harder to get into.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 4,436 Senior Member
    BTW congrats to all who were accepted today! A great problem to have if you are torn!
  • GrnMtnMomGrnMtnMom Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    Like @spoonyj, my child also got into RISD but didn't qualify for need based aid, so she chose to go elsewhere (SAIC, which has been fantastic). We were a little disappointed, because we thought there would be merit forthcoming, based on Scholastic and YoungArts (she was a national winner for both), but that didn't happen.
  • lsichitiulsichitiu Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    @GrnMtnMom , my D really wants to go to SAIC. She is a national Scholastic medalist, and while SAIC said there is scholarship for that, we didn't receive yet a letter about additional money. I want to say "yes" to SAIC and pay the tuition and housing deposit, but I wonder if I should wait to make sure they will award the scholastic money first. In your experience, did you accept and then they awarded the Scholastic/young arts scholarship, or you waited first and then accepted the admission?
  • uskoolfishuskoolfish Registered User Posts: 2,921 Senior Member
    @lsichitiu As a general rule of thumb I would not accept an offer until scholarship money is awarded. The only exception would be if you know for sure that 100% of all Scholastic/ Young Arts recipients are awarded extra scholarship money. If you don't have a guarantee--than why take the chance of not being awarded the money? Scholarship money is awarded so a school is looked upon more favorably by an applicant that they really want. If you have already committed to the scholarship, then there is no for them to grant more money as an enticement.
  • lsichitiulsichitiu Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    @uskoolfish , the only reason to accept the offer now as opposed to waiting for the final offer is my stress over missing on "campus" housing. I really want my D to stay in SAIC dorm. It will be a hard transition for my daughter going from a small town to Chicago, so I hope that at least she will be close to school and together with other students.
  • GrnMtnMomGrnMtnMom Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    @lsichitiu , I would contact the financial services department at SAIC and inquire about additional scholarship moneys for the Scholastic award your D received. In my experience, they are very responsive and should get back to you in a timely manner. In our own experience, we did not accept until after we received all scholarship notifications.

    I don't think you need to worry about campus housing - they seem to have enough. But you might want to get a jump on enrollment (as soon as you hear back from financial services), because popular freshmen seminars tend to fill quickly. My own D enrolled sometime very late April, and she did not get her first pick of freshmen seminars, but her classes turned out interesting nonetheless.

  • uskoolfishuskoolfish Registered User Posts: 2,921 Senior Member
    @lsichitiu Yes, I totally understand. Just keep in mind that there is a possibility that once you give a deposit they may not award any more money. You have to personally decide if the loss of that money is justified by the risk of her potentially losing out on housing. Personally, I'd call housing to see if that risk is real--and I'd also speak again to financial aid and ask about the scholarship--reiterating that SAIC is her top choice, but you are still concerned with cost and that this additional money would help.

    But sometimes we as parents do have to make decisions that will cost us potential money. I allowed D to apply to NYU for studio art ED. I knew by applying ED we would not be eligible for any merit aid. But I felt that ED might give D a bump for admission and she was a 1000% sure that she wanted to attend. So I'll never know what would have happened as a RD applicant and how much money she may have been awarded. But I knew I would have a super miserable kid if she got rejected, so I went for it. (And I'm pretty certain in retrospect that she wouldn't have been rejected because she was asked to join Steinhardt's scholars program. Oh well!)
  • RedRose87RedRose87 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    edited March 2017
    I received my Emily Carr acceptance yesterday, in case anyone is waiting on Canadian schools. :)
  • sunnydo165sunnydo165 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    RISD hasn't notified admitted students of financial aid/merit scholarships yet, right? I looked over my portal and can't find info in that regard. I heard that a letter should come in the mail in the next week, but I wanted to make sure packages haven't be disclosed just yet.
  • nmmommanmmomma Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Just got the Pratt acceptance yesterday. Letter dated march 13 but not postmarked until 3/24 (?) in case anyone out west hadn't heard yet
Sign In or Register to comment.