Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Art School admission 2017

Replies to: Art School admission 2017

• julyleswk9julyleswk9 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    edited April 3
    Same here, SAIC offered S the Massey scholarship last week; covers full tuition (not inclusive of room & board or fees) but still a great offer. A lot to think about. I'll post when a decision has been made because if we don't accept it, that will free up about $160k of additional monies for them to offer to other students.
  • NYCMomof3NYCMomof3 Registered User Posts: 381 Member
    @mom3intexas that is wonderful!!!! I am hoping to visit MICA this Sunday for their open house...if not we will have to go over the summer.
  • nmmommanmmomma Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Anyone-- especially parents with college kids on the east coast without meal plans-- how much $ per month for food?
  • mom3intexasmom3intexas Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @NYCMomof3 We will be there this Friday :) Hope that D likes it!
  • lsichitiulsichitiu Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    same here. MICA awarded very generous package for my daughter, basically full tuition. This makes our decision much harder, but a good problem to have. Nevertheless, I have to admit that I am tired, I can't wait to say yes, pay the deposit, apply for housing and sign up for classes....
  • uskoolfishuskoolfish Registered User Posts: 2,730 Senior Member
    In NYC, for a D that barely cooks/eats at home, I would say that she goes through about $175 a week for a combination of groceries, take-out and occasional restaurant food. I am not holding her to a tight budget, so I'm sure it can be done for less. That comes to $25/day on an average. I would say that includes part of her "entertainment" budget as well.
    @lsichitiu We are also still deciding .... if you see my other posts, our struggle is whether go to a university with good art program or an art school. We are still waiting to hear if we got any more scholarship for WashU in addition to the $6k. She was in WashU last weekend and I don't think the school was very impressive to her....a lot of up and downs as we visit them and get to know more about each school...I am with you :)
    S received a VERY generous package from RISD today; included the $10K Trustee Scholarship as well. They made the decision easy for us; he's going to RISD! Good luck to everyone!
  • pinkmomagainpinkmomagain Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Well I guess we are not the only ones in decision mode. DD went to MICA 2 weeks ago and really loved it. She also got additional scholarship $ which is nice. Still struggling with it being the furthest school and also, well, Baltimore & safety concerns. Adored the people at MICA -- both staff/faculty and students/admitted students. We'll be swinging by SVA on Saturday, and then in a couple of weeks, Parsons and FIT. Sometimes having so many choices makes it difficult.
  • lsichitiulsichitiu Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    @julyleswk9 congratulations! Good luck to your son!
    @julyleswk9 Congratulations! Your S is very impressive!
  • moonpiemoonpie Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    @pinkmomagain we will be at SVA on Saturday as well!!! So excited! We are down to Pratt and SVA most likely. SAIC and SCAD are calling, emailing, etc, and my girl told them that she will decide after this weekend. I told her she needs to let the scholarship money go to someone else and help them make their decision!! LCAD emailed today with additional offer (but we've already decided against it). I keep wondering why the 2 school at the top haven't offered anything more, and then I feel completely selfish! Like @lsichitiu I just want to make a decision and be DONE

@lsichitiu and @mom3intexas thank you very much!
  • neapmomneapmom Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    agree @moonpie, wish SVA was offering up more like MICA is...SVA is it for my D though...no turning back. She is looking forward to seeing a few of you at SVA on Saturday! Take care and have fun!