Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Art School admission 2017

Replies to: Art School admission 2017

• DBY2017DBY2017 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm just curious for those who are from OOS and go to VCU Arts. We are from OOS and my daughter got accepted into VCU Arts. Is it true that the max scholarship for VCU is limited to what the in-state tuition is, they never give above that? We are hoping for a nice scholarship but not sure if we cold afford paying the OOS difference. My daughter has a 34 ACT, 4.5/4.0 GPA and 5 AP classes. Wondering if anyone knows what the max scholarship they've ever seen for OOS students that go to VCU arts.
  • BrooklynRyeBrooklynRye Registered User Posts: 496 Member
    According to the VCU website, merit-based scholarships cover in-state costs only. The university's highest financial award, its presidential scholarship awards up to $13,000 maximum per year. Tuition, fees, room & board for 2017, were projected at nearly $44,000. So assuming the award of a presidential scholarship, COA would still be at $30k+. Is this what you are seeing @DBY2017 ?
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 4,699 Senior Member
    Why would VCUArts be less expensive (for non-VA's) than other comparable quality art colleges, when all is netted out? If they were, someone in the FA office otter be fired for leaving moola on the table. FWIW.
  • DBY2017DBY2017 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    That's exactly what I saw. Was wondering if they ever gave additional money. It would be about $20,000 a year to go there if she got their highest merit award. Thanks.
    edited December 2017
    $20k all-in (assuming that is not just tuition?) is a pretty good deal at a top undergraduate art school, @DBY2017. Obviously, an evaluation as to affordability is very personal, but in our experience, a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, these max-awards seem to be few and far between at VCU. At least this was our experience and that of those with whom we have shared experiences. For what it's worth, we generally found ourselves around the $25-30k range at top dedicated art schools, including at Pratt and at RISD. Tyler at Temple, RIT and U of Arts in Philly came in at the lower range. Pratt and MICA toward the top. A lot seems to depend on how focused you are early-on in pursuing particular schools. My understanding is that a hot and heavy approach toward MICA, for instance, can work wonders on FA.
  • stones3stones3 Registered User Posts: 849 Member
    For the Record VCUARTS undergraduate starting out of state tuition is of course significantly lower than other private top 10 design schools. And obviously any award is netted out of the final cost but it does have a lower starting point which is relevant when holistically comparing awards sizes. As I have stated many times , in the end our D was accepted to many top design schools (didn't apply to RISD as she didn't like it) and we found they were ultimately within 5-7k of each other for us. financial and merit awards are unique to each family situation, this was our experience. For us not a significant enough cost difference to be the deciding factor of where to attend. Rather we researched the programs and job placements along with where she felt she could excel the most. In our case, thankfully she chose correctly and we are very happy as she has had so many good things happen as a result (some will call this "shilling" but really just a proud and satisfied parent). D has sold works with faculty help, found work writing, just got a 4.0 GPA and has at least two summer internship offers in nyc. So yes, we are happy. Hopefully keeps up.
    The schilling is, to some degree, very helpful as it shows it's possible to attend VCUArts and emerge a successful art/design professional (at least in that major). That's what this forum is all about - sharing information, the ups as well as the downs. Would hope that if VCU was turning south, @stones3 would be just as enthusiastic about sharing.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Glad for your D stones. Not to be rude but give it up please.
    edited December 2017
    jbstillflying- thank you and I would be THE first to post if anything was to our disliking . ie Cooper Union dysfuntion.
    @stones3 - that's a pretty high (or is it low?) bar. ;) You are welcome to post more minor dissatisfactions as well.
    Both Tyler School of Art at Temple University and RIT come in close to COA of VCU. Tyler is actually a bit below VCU. RIT a bit above. In any case, do you know what the word "holistically" means? As has been repeatedly posted in response to this tripe, the lower base cost of VCU is irrelevant due to the historically low levels of financial/merit aid offered by the school. Yours seems to be the only case on record that differs from this. This being the case, elite schools such as RISD, MICA, Pratt, SCAD and others, which offer substantial need/merit aid, often come in at least as good if not better than VCU. Of course your daughter didn't like RISD. That would totally screw up your fantasy narrative. Do you know what the word "shilling" means? The reason your posts go beyond "proud and satisfied parent" is because your attestations are posted in harsh discord with the OP's questions or concerns. You also do not limit your posts to subjective appraisals of your child's experience. You tout the school, and its programs, citing misleading statistics (grad ranks as if they are undergrad), disreputable and discredited rankings (Bloomberg), and making all kinds of unsubstantiated claims (the list is pretty endless here). Do you know how many times you have posted that your daughter had works purchased, won a writing competition, has a perfect GPA, and is swamped with internship offers? Go back and count and we will all see you in 2020. And, FWIW, seriously doubt this site will hear word one about any negatives at the chosen school. You trash Cooper, less to benefit readers, than to bash a school at which you feel your child got less than fair treatment. All of your Cooper posts were soundly (and roundly) rebuffed by people and students far more knowledgeable about the school than you who did not even know or understand the consent decree impacting the school's finances until it was posted amidst some of your pap. Am sure this is at least part of the reason why gouf (and other less subtle posters) are so frustrated with you. No one on this site begrudges your satisfaction or your child's happiness at your choice of school. This is truly great and all parents and students on this site empathize and share in your experiences. But give the unsolicited, disconnected promotion a rest.
    JBStillflying - ok the food could be better :)
    I would like to offer all, the very best of wishes for the holiday season and to all a happy and successful new year.
  • NYCMomof3NYCMomof3 Registered User Posts: 492 Member
    edited December 2017
    To those who have had experience with MICA, I have a question. My daughter received a letter in the mail about two weeks ago commenting on her work that was reviewed at the NYC NPD..."I am pleased to inform you that your portfolio demonstrated the level of talent and ability we seek in students wishing to continue their studies at our college. If you have not already done so, we hope you will soon be submitting your application and portfolio for admission. Based on the quality of your portfolio we also wish to encourage you to apply for our competitive merit based scholarships."

Does this go out to everyone that visited their table or are they interested? She hasn't heard back yet from her ED and this letter made her smile. Their FA dept also contacted me (our FASFA was picked to be verified) around the same time as the letter arrived. Good sign? No sign? This waiting sucks @-)

Btw she did do EA for MICA
    @NYCMomof3 - was she offered special EA dates for MICA that weren't on their website or are they offering EA to everyone now? The year my D15 applied it was just ED and RD but they contact some with EA dates that are in between. It was nice because she got to apply early, non-binding, and received two rounds of scholarship money. We would have been happy with MICA given it's rep. but she felt that Pratt was a better fit.