Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

FSU Film School - 2016

Replies to: FSU Film School - 2016

• WWWardWWWard Registered User Posts: 1,619 Senior Member
    @jrmutley interesting. and even harder to gain admission then... lol

@loribale Congrats!
  • jrmutleyjrmutley Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    @WWWard @loribale Just curious...are all of the offered times in the email the same day or do they give you a selection of dates? If you had a choice of dates, what were they?
  • loribaleloribale Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    @jrmutley there are 3 dates, Feb 24th, March 10th and March 24th, all but March 24th have morning and afternoon sessions to pick from. My son is requesting March 10th, am.
    Thanks for the response and congrats to your son!
    @jrmutley Thanks and best of luck to your son. I hope he gets the interview!
    It seems that they offered different times to each applicant selected for an interview. In our case, she was offered a choice between... Friday, February 24th- 8:45am or 2:15pm, Saturday, February 25th- 8:45am or 2:15pm or Friday, March 3rd- 8:45am or 2:15pm. They do it first come first served, and as they have limited slots for each time... they likely do not offer everyone every option.
    Interesting!! Is your daughter BFA production, as my son is seeking, or animation?
    Nothing yet. He does have a backup plan. We would just like to know either way. Plus, we have until tomorrow to place the deposit on his housing contract (ten days from when it was submitted). I didn't want to do that until we knew if he had an interview or not.

@bcnbound Any news on your end yet?
  • bcnboundbcnbound Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Nothing here. Not even a rejection! Hoping they finalize contacting people today @jrmutley
    They said by end of this week so you guys should hopefully find out today! Crossing fingers for you!
    Bad news. No interview here. At this point, he plans to try again next year. Good luck to everyone who got the interview. Feel free to update this if you end up getting accepted.
    I'm so sorry! Yes, give it a go again, my son's teacher knows someone that was declined and got in the next year when she applied again. Could be our plan as well if he doesn't get in after the interview. Best of luck!!
  • cruzanladycruzanlady Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Congrats to all that received an interview--even that is impressive. I'm stressed just reading this thread and my daughter is still in high school. I too know someone who was declined, enrolled at FSU, volunteered as much as possible on films as a Freshman and got one of those 10 "transfer" spots the next year. Hey, Barry Jenkins was a junior transfer into the film school. So don't lose hope @jrmutley. :)
    If you were referring to me... yes - my daughter is a BFA applicant for film production. She will be interviewing at FSU MPA this Saturday.

Here is more info that I have learned to help other current and future applicants...

The interview process usually includes six candidates at a given time - either the multi-hour morning session or multi-hour afternoon session. The applicants all come in and sit in a room together with some current FSU MPA BFA students. They will chat a bit and ask the applicants some "get to know you" questions like where you're from and where you have applied to, etc. MPA faculty will then come in and introduce themselves. They'll leave and then a single candidate will go interview for 30 minutes with the faculty panel. When they're done, that candidate will come back and join the group again while another candidate will go have an individual interview and so on. While they're interviewing, the other five candidates will hang out together with the current BFA students. They will answer any questions that the applicants may have about the college or just filmmaking in general. They may show some films from FSU and may even take groups to the post-production area and provide sneak peaks of current thesis films being worked on, etc. Once everyone has done their individual 30 min interview, all applicants will be called in and for a group interview / exercise. MPA faculty is apparently trying to see how applicants collaborate with one another. Once that's done, they will take the applicants on a tour of the film school and its facilities.
    Thank you @WWWard for your insight on the interview process. Best of luck to your daughter this Saturday and keep us posted! I would love to know what the guys in her group wear to the interview if you don't mind checking back in after Saturday. My son isn't much of a coat/tie guy, but curious how many will be that dressed up. Thanks in advance.