right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Film-related programs on East Coast

LA91116LA91116 12 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
My child would like to stay on the East Coast for college (she's still a sophomore so we're early). It seems that the selective colleges have more writing-oriented and theoretical programs that aren't necessarily hands on. I'm a Penn grad, so I was considering that program for her, but it seemed so theoretical (and their web site was such a turn off!) Is there a happy medium between "trade school" and theory?
16 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Film-related programs on East Coast

• Artful4artArtful4art 86 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Have you looked at Emerson? NYU? You are really looking for schools that have great networking opportunities. A lot of people who pursue film degrees would consider the degree worthless to the industry. If she wants to be a hands on filmmaker, consider skipping college and moving her to LA and have her break into the industry on the ground floor, because that is more likely than not the same spot she will find herself post college. If she wants to be a serious filmmaker, she should study humanities in college and minor in film. Philosophy and literature are probably the best skills a college can offer that she wouldn’t learn on the job. She should look at the filmmakers journeys of the artists she respects and enjoys and see if their path makes sense with the current industry and the one projected in the future.
    · Reply · Share
  • LA91116LA91116 12 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thank you, great advice. NYU, BU and Emerson are on the list.
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 1961 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wesleyan is known for film. Tufts has a really nice Film and Media Studies major too.
    · Reply · Share
    Wesleyan is on the list but so tough to get into. I didn’t know about Tufts—will add it! Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks! I appreciate your input!
    · Reply · Share
  • jss9395jss9395 60 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    NYU Tisch
    Columbia
    Emerson
    Wesleyan
    DePaul
    Rhode Island School of Design

And in the southeast

University of North Carolina School of the Arts
    Florida State University
    Savannah College of Art and Design

All practically oriented and on the top film schools list from the Hollywood Reporter

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/top-25-american-film-schools-ranked-1134785/item/2018-top-25-film-schools-stanford-university-1134822

· Reply · Share
  • gallentjillgallentjill 2385 replies84 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Ithaca has a great program.
    · Reply · Share
    Also look for a BFA for a practical program. And you want a name like film production rather than film or cinema studies if you want that type of program.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks! Looking for a balanced program, not just practical. College is too expensive to only learn film production for 4 years!
    · Reply · Share
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard 2109 replies20 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I agree that you should look for a balanced program for your D.

I also agree with the second part of what @Artful4art said -- assuming that your D indeed wants to become a serious filmmaker and intends to study film in college, it would behoove her to get a good, solid liberal arts education under her belt. (Besides, she will no doubt have the opportunity to write, direct, and produce films while she a college student. She will also be surrounded by others that share her passion during a unique and important period in her life developmentally, intellectually, and emotionally-speaking. At school, your D will also likely have access to fabulous internships in film companies and wonderful opportunities to study, live, and make films abroad.)

She is still quite young, and her interests and passions may well change or evolve over time.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, keeping options open is my motto! She's had a passion for film since she was in third grade, so I think at this point, she won't change her mind. She might after she works in Hollywood, though...It's a tough industry.
    · Reply · Share
    When I say "practical" I just mean that you actually learn skills not just theory. The ones I have recommended are balanced. A film studies program is theory with no skills training, they do NOT get the opportunity to write, direct and produce films as part of their educational program in those (though of course I suppose they could do it independently, but that isn't the point, is it?).
    · Reply · Share
    Some film/cinema/media studies programs have a production track; others do not, or have only a nominal number of production courses. You have to look at the curriculum options to see what's available. I mentioned Tufts and Clark because, even though they're "studies" programs in name, they do have significant production opportunities for students who seek that emphasis. (For example: https://as.tufts.edu/fms/about/studentfilms ) It is true, though, that many "studies" programs lean much more toward just analysis and the sociological/anthropological impact of media. You have to look deeper into the course offerings, and also into the real-life availability of the desired courses (because often demand for spots in film production classes far exceeds supply), and/or the major itself (example: https://www.wesleyan.edu/cfilm/prospective/major.html ).
    · Reply · Share
    @aquapt How would I go about finding out the difficulty of getting into a particular class? I'm assuming contact the school and ask? How forthcoming would they be? Part of the reason my DD was turned off by UCLA is the widely-known fact that classes in general fill up quickly and that's why it takes people more than 4 years to graduate.
    · Reply · Share
  • Artful4artArtful4art 86 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @LA91116 I would go post questions about classes on Reddit in the schools forum of your liking. You will most likely receive a response back from a current student. Lots of good information to be gleaned about a particular university by student posters.
    · Reply · Share