Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Film Programs: Undergraduate or Graduate?

2»

Replies to: Film Programs: Undergraduate or Graduate?

• juliusmonkyjuliusmonky Registered User Posts: 620 Member
    No one really knows where the film industry is headed, with the advent of YouTube, the decline of theaters, the rise of video games, etc. I would encourage someone to go an overall strong school with a fairly strong film department, where they are getting a good general education in addition to their film education. I also think the key is a balanced program, both theory/history and production. Many programs fail to achieve this, even some of the top ones. I know film graduates of third-rate schools in Ohio who have moved to NYC and are more knowledgeable about film history/theory than their colleagues who went to Tisch. Honestly, that's pretty embarrassing. The real key, though, is connections, as people have said. I'm in a film program at a top school with an amazing alumni system, in both Communications and in general, and that's probably what will make the difference for me.
  • nyumomnyumom Registered User Posts: 761 Member
    All I can say is, don't blame Tisch. Maybe it was actually the students themselves. I have two kids who were/are at Tisch, and that certainly hasn't been the case for them. Remember, it's also about the passion that each individual student gives/brings to the program. Both of my kids have been/are able to succeed quite well from their programs (and also during their college years in terms of receiving recognition), and their classmates have, as well.
  • timelytimely Registered User Posts: 1,613 Senior Member
    nyumom, I was happy to hear about kids graduating from a film school and being employable. :-) Can you share what type of work they went into when they graduated?
    timely,
    The employment status of the recent grads have been quite varied, from working for major studios and production companies (both in LA and NYC) in many different positions including production assistants, art coordinators, assitant to producers, set design assistants. There are also studens who are working full-time for production companies and studios (either large or small) in the areas of publicity, marketing and distribution and film development. Some grads are working on their own independent film projects, but at the same time are employed as editors, graphic designers, etc. The list goes on and on. My S is working on his own independent projects, but is also teaching, doing freelance work, and is also working on projects (both films and literary) that involve industry professionals, including professors.
  • lintulintu Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    Does anyone know if it is easier to get into graduate film school at USC or NYU if you were an undergraduate film major? I've always wanted to go to film school at USC, but because of cost and an amazing scholarship that came my way, I was unable to attend for undergraduate. I would love to attend as a grad student (screenwriting) but don't know if the fact that I didn't go to a film school undergraduate will help me. I'm currently going to attend a liberal arts college and be a media studies and psych undergrad.
    One of the main differences between an undergrad and grad film program - in particular, NYU's program, because that is what I'm most familiar with, is that there are more students in the undergrad versus less in the grad. Usually, undergrad film grads do not need to pursue an MFA in film, because in their case, it would be repetitive, unless, of course, there was a specific reason for them to do so. I know that many BFAfilm grads are already working in the industry, so taking an MFA in film wouldn't be necessary.
  • paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions Registered User Posts: 13,330 Senior Member
    FWIW, a good link to all film schools in USA, CA, and International:

http://www.imdb.com/filmschools
2»
This discussion has been closed.