Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is there a big advantage to submitting portfolio in person?

sketchysketchy Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
edited September 2007 in Visual Arts and Film Majors
Son will be applying to Syracuse, MICA, Pratt, and maybe a couple more schools that require submitting a portfolio. He will likely need some merit money to be able to afford the $40K+ tutition at these schools, so he will be submitting his portfolio on CD or slides for review with his application.

We will be visiting these schools in the fall and could throw a portfolio together for review then, or wait until my son has completed a portfolio development class at the local CC and just submit his portfolio with his application materials.

Any thoughts on the best approach? Is there a big advantage in submitting your portfolio in person?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by sketchy on

Replies to: Is there a big advantage to submitting portfolio in person?

• handemomhandemom Registered User Posts: 449 Member
    It may be good to have a review in person when you visit the schools. They will give you feedback on areas that may need improvement. If they like it as is, in many cases, they will let you know it's 'acceptable'. My D had some in-person reviews early on, before her portfolio was compelte (spring of Jr. year). At that point it still needed a lot of work, but the feedback was useful. As it turned out, she didn't apply to the schools with the early reviews.

In the fall of her Sr. year she went to a national portfolio day and did show her updated portfolio in person. MICA and Syracuse were 2 of the schools who reviewed it. After those reviews, she got letter both from MICA and Syracuse asking her to apply. MICA specifically said the portfolio was acceptable for admission and she didn't have to even send in slides, unless she was applying for a scholarship. Seubsequently she was accepted to all the schools she applied to, and MICA even had early notification (end of January).
  • jdsmomjdsmom Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    I second handemom's response. My son did a portfolio review when we visited MICA. He knew it wasn't the review on which they would base their decision, so he didn't have to feel nervous about it. The reviewer encouraged him to apply and gave suggestions about the kinds of pieces he should include in his slides to show off his strengths. All in all, it was a very pleasant and useful experience.
  • handemomhandemom Registered User Posts: 449 Member
    I just want to add, that in the case of MICA, my D has a friend who showed her portfolio 3 times to them (1st time at visit, 2nd at NPD, 3rd when MICA was on the road). The first 2 provided feedback which she followed up on. After the last review she also was informed it was acceptable for early notification and was accepted.
  • sketchysketchy Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    It sounds like My son should go ahead and submit his portfolio for review with the understanding it is a work in progress.
  • patoispatois Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    yeah - schools are definitely into helping kids decide where to go with their work. I think it's scary to present something that you're not 100% proud of yet, but it WILL pay off in the long run and it does look good if you go back with a more put together portfolio and show that you took their advice.

Also, i know from experience it's an advantage for MICA because if they accept it, you don't have to send work with your application until February 15th for scholarship consideration.
  • sketchysketchy Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    Thanks for the insight about MICA, patois. I'll definitely have my son submit a portfolio to MICA in person, as we're local and getting there is no problem.
This discussion has been closed.