Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MICA, freshman year

2»

Replies to: MICA, freshman year

• osage77osage77 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Exactly what Liberal Arts classes are you taking? I take it that "Art Matters" is one art history class, but do you take English, Anthro, or any lanuage classes?
  • jocanjocan Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    Thanks m&sdad -- Could you tell me more about what she uses the car for and why it was isolating without one? Is it for getting to different neighborhoods, or out of town? Or that you aren't tied to bus schedules, etc? Thanks --
  • m&sdadm&sdad Registered User Posts: 1,201 Member
    jocan,

To be honest, MICA is not in the best neighborhood. She loves the school, the faculty and what she is learning but is not keen on the location.

She mainly uses it to get groceries and supplies, explore other parts of the city and to head out to explore some of the state parks on weekends.
  • patoispatois Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    osage77: You have the opportunity to take other liberal arts after the freshman year. The only liberal arts you are required to take are Critical Inquiry (Which is sort of an English/Analytical course) and Art Matters, which is a survey art history course.

If you call up and request a course catalog you can look through the liberal arts section yourself - it's quite extensive.

The liberal arts minors offered are: art history, creative writing, critical theory, culture and politics, gender studies, and literary studies. There is also a new curatorial studies minor and i believe a conservation and curatorial major. So the school is definitely expanding in the way of liberal arts.
    Hope that helped :)
    jocan:

the dorms are really, really, really great for a dorm situation. My friends at Hopkins - seriously - refer to the commons as the "castle" . (A little tongue in cheek, but honest!)

My dorm room is a single room in a suite with others - 3 other girls who also have singles. Some of my friends live in the Meyerhoff.

My car has its ups and downs. It's helpful when we want to go to PaperMoon at 3 am in the morning or we have ten minutes before Utrecht closes and we need something they don't sell at the MICA store - but it's terrible when I get a flat tire on Charles street after coming home from Citibank and then have to deal with all of that Car stuff when I have Drawing the next day.

It is nice to not have to wait for the weekend shuttles though. Hardware, etc is cheaper at Home Depot. With planning, though, the shuttles are great. It's all about how you adjust. It's very easy to do without a car in Baltimore.
  • beardarefair08beardarefair08 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    is anyone here in Mica's Animation/Film program and wouldn't mind telling me about it?
    I would do a full post but all I really have to say is "OH MY GOD FINALS"

After school ends I'll do a full wrap up.
  • MoominmamaMoominmama Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    Hang in there, patois!
  • caressemhcaressemh Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    Have you been in any of the doubles dorms? Are they part of suits too? I applied for a double.

I look forward to hearing your wrap up but no pressure! Get through finals first! lol. Good luck :)
  • kami.cranekami.crane Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I was wondering if you could tell me some things about Baltimore as a city. MICA is my top choice so far, but I live in Tokyo and go the American School. I've lived in California and Texas, but only the suburbs. I've heard from maybe three MICA students that Baltimore is okay as long as you're smart about it and they love it there, but I've also read some reviews that it's extremely dangerous. Just wondering what you could tell me about the crime and the area around the school.
  • FindmepeteFindmepete Registered User Posts: 345 Member
    Check out ucrime.com for stats on college crimes
2»
This discussion has been closed.