Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Film production at art schools...

zzzzurzolozzzzurzolo Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
In highschool I took studio courses and eventually a graphic design course in 11th grade. This past senior year I took AP Studio but used digital graphic design as my medium. I've always been a huge film buff, exposed to a wide selection since I was a kid, however because of my chosen course in visual arts, I never took any film production courses. This summer I'm going to Paris for a month through the New York Film Academy to take production classes, and will ultimately shoot 3 shorts on 16 mm. My intentions are to start a film portfolio, and establish whether or not I have an invested interest in the major.

Unfortunately, I opted to not apply to any stand alone art schools. However, if I fall in love with film production after my experience in Paris this summer, I plan on applying as a transfer after next year. Even though I am currently enrolled as an English major with a Writing Emphasis at the college I selected, I will have only completed my GE courses in the first year. If my freshman year grades are superb, I plan on applying for transfer to the top university film schools such as USC and NYU. I would also like to keep my options open, so if you have any information on the top film programs at stand alone art schools, I'd appreciate any replies. Big cities are important to me at the moment (SF, LA and NY come to mind. I'm from LA.) I would also be interested in top film schools internationally, including those in Canada (preferably Montreal), England, Italy and France (American institutions only for the Italian and French schools). Some schools that I have looked into include SVA, Eugene Lang (and Parsons), Academy of Art University and SCAD. As inferred earlier, I also have an interest in creative writing, so a strong program in writing as well as film would be a bonus.

For reference, my highschool GPA was 3.4 at a well known college prep. school. SATs: 1180. Lots of extra-currics. (comm. service, jobs etc.) and many AP's including Studio AP.
Post edited by zzzzurzolo on

Replies to: Film production at art schools...

• camacama Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    Another good one for you to consider is SUNY Purchase(Westchester County close to NYC) also Pratt has a film program. Are you sure Parsons has a film program?
  • zzzzurzolozzzzurzolo Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Eugene Lang has the film courses, but they are both part of the New School University. I only listed Parsons because I may also take GD classes there. They offer a joint BA and BFA program with the two schools. I've heard of the film program at Purchase. Do you know how all these schools rank when put together?
  • zzzzurzolozzzzurzolo Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    If anyone knows, or at least has an opinion, what are the top 5 or so art schools with Film production as a major?
  • tsdadtsdad Registered User Posts: 4,035 Senior Member
    This is not directed at the OP, but it's my personal
    point of view concerning film education in art schools.

I don't think that undergrads should do film in art schools. They are too unsophisticated in the ways of the world. Becoming a good filmmaker depends on understanding the human condition. I don't think that you will get the kind of broadbased education in history, philosophy, economics, international affairs, science, religion, and the like in an art school that will allow a young person to make the kind of humane films that good filmmakers should make. That's why my son didn't even apply to the North Carolina School of the Arts where he had spent two summers. Instead he's at USC where he is taking a Peace and Conflict minor to go along with his critical studies major in the film school. I think this, his general education courses and the diversity of students and faculty found at "regular" colleges, will help him make better, more informed films.

I have no problem with art schools for graduate level work.
  • SafiamilkeSafiamilke Registered User Posts: 402 Member
    Let me just get this out of the way:

Transferring into either NYU or USC's film school is very difficult. NYU is easier (although only 5% of transfers get in...). USC told me that they take only 3 or 4 A YEAR from transfer and hundreds of people apply.
  • taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    Look at Emerson College. They are a well-known liberal arts college that has a very strong film program. I also know that both RISD and Pratt have a film and animation program. I don't know how good their programs are.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 71,055 Senior Member
    How about the School of Film and Television at Chapman Universityin Orange County, just south of LA? It is a highly regarded school AND they are building a brand spanking new building that is supposed to be done by a year from now (Cecil B. Demille Building is where the school is housed now).
This discussion has been closed.