Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Illustration major in KCAI

2»

Replies to: Illustration major in KCAI

• TarantTarant Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm a KC native. I don't attend KCAI, so this is a combination of "community hearsay" and what I've been told by students and alumni.

General feel, KCAI is not highly regarded by local art students. I have three friends from high school who went there on scholarship-- two to ceramics/sculpture, one to photography. All transferred or dropped out within a year. They cited low levels of talent in their programs, general ennui in the downtown KC art scene, and lack of real instructive support. Fine Arts in general is not KCAI's strength... while the ceramics program used to be excellent, many of the original driving instructors have left or retired. Facilities remain well equipped. Animation (see local design house MK12, all KCAI grads) and graphic design are more prominent and attract stronger students.

I'd say JCCC, our local community college, is better thought of than KCAI. While it's certainly not a rigorous or high-level program, many KCAI instructors teach there, the campus displays tons of art on campus (the Nerman Museum has a very good contemporary art collection) and it has an awesome darkroom/photo lab.

KC itself isn't really a student town. A car is a necessity... public transportation is a complete bust and everything sprawls so far apart that walking is impossible. The Plaza is expensive, Westport and Midtown are fun but overrun by hipsters, and much of the new development (eg Power and Light District, loft communities) is geared toward Johnson County suburbanites and bourgeouis professionals. I've attended many First Fridays in the Crossroads, our arts district... it's really hit or miss, apart from a few galleries (Kemper at the Crossroads, Sherry Leedy, Cocoon). Once a month everyone shows and the rest of the time it's restaurants and bars.

Of course, I've also heard that you just have to know where to go-- lots of KCAI kids throw renegade house parties and art shows in the West Bottoms. If you can get past the general pot/alcohol and rampant coke abuse (no kidding, it's the drug of choice for Midtown kids), you might find some talent.
  • artmommy77artmommy77 Registered User Posts: 295 Senior Member
    JCCC is a better Art school than KCAI? What drug are you on? Really, this is pure hyperbolt. The Nerman Museum, located on JCCC land has art from several KCAI students and Profs (Also Yale and RISD artists). I didn't see one piece from a JCCC student. It's an independent Museum not a teaching arm of the Community College. JCCC teaches a type of community art class. I think you certainly have a right to your attitude but it is your opinion. I would view KCAI in a more positive light than you did. I have no stake in this game. No child goes to KCAI and I never went to KCAI. Never went to JCCC.

But I do think there is Art Community in KC. The MK12 animation group is just one you named (All KCAI graduates). I just met a working artist (KCAI grad) a week ago.

JCCC is the worst kind of a driving suburban school. It is not close to anything but single expensive housing. It is the definition of a driving school. This Jr College serves an older middle age suburbanite student. It is in South Johnson County miles and miles from the city and anything else. Its a good school, but I would hardly recommend it as a place for a serious art student. But I think it is a good Jr. college to spring board to another school.
    KCAI is in the heart of the city and has at least some bus and taxi transportation and is easy walking distance of 2 museums, 1 university, housing, extensive shopping and eating places, parks, and theaters. This weekend in KC is the large Art show at the Plaza. Its been going on over 30 years. This show is not 1/4 mile from KCAI.

And regarding the drug/alcohol/coke abuse, name me one school where this doesn't take place. This is an easy bomb to throw at any school.

Just thought I'd add another view point.
2»
This discussion has been closed.