Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Some notes on the "best" schools for fine art

Replies to: Some notes on the "best" schools for fine art

• studiomomstudiomom Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    K, Can't wait to see your grad list! Please post.
  • brandnewstatebrandnewstate Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    I also want to see the grad list!
  • catmom2catmom2 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Kaelyn,

Can you say a bit more about the art schools in London, UK, and why they might be better than the US? We have connections in London, hence my question.

Also want to report that dear daughter so far likes Tyler, WUSTL, CMU, and MICA best. Eight visits down, three to four to go. Next up: Yale, Cooper, RISD... any LAC's to recommend? Anyone?
  • kaelynkaelyn Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    I think most people living in art land would probably tell you that the best places to study fine art in the uk would be

The Slade Scool of Art, UCL
    Chelsea College of Art, UAL
    Central St Martin's, UAL
    Goldsmiths, UoL
    (all in london)

Glasgow School of Art
    (is in glasgow not london)

The Royal Academy
    The Royal College of Art
    (both in london but only offer post graduate programs)

If you ever decided to look up the CV's of recent turner prize nominees
    you'd find that a lot of them went to one of the above. There's no way to
    say whether british art schools, in general, are superior or inferior to American
    art schools. They are generally a little different though.

Most british undergrad courses in fine art last about 3 years but students are usually required to do a separate and independent foundation degree beforehand which takes about one year. In total it end up being the same four years. They tend not to push the broad liberal education that american art schools claim to, i.e. the majority of your taught courses will be in art history/theory. Also the structure of the programs are generally looser, no credit distribution requirements etc and they encourage students to work independently much earlier on than their us counterparts. Graduate programs are usually one or two years with the exception of the royal academy which has a 3 year program.

I cant say more than that in general

The slade is extremely selective. They take about 4% of applicants a year and they have a larger academic component in their curricula than most british art schools. They offer two programs in fine art: a bfa in fine which is more practice oriented and last three years and the BA in fine art and art history/theory which is four years and is fairly similar to the BFA program but has a larger academic component slapped on to it. The slade surprisingly is less hardline conceptual than some of the other london art schools and is one of the few places in london still considered a "painting school".

I'm not really sure if there is a big difference between Chelsea and St Martins. They are both part of University of The Arts London (UAL). Chelsea's fine art program is more highly regarded the CSM's, especially at the graduate level but i don't know if there is any huge difference between their teaching styles academic environments etc. CSM however, is largely known for being a design school and it somehow happened that they got a good fine art department whereas chelsea is a fine art school that happens to have other departments.

Goldsmiths is notoriously hardline on it's conceptual approach to teaching/art making even at the undergrad level. They produced a slew of famous british artists in the early nineties including damien hirst, sarah lucas, gary hume etc. I think they also have a larger academic component to their program than say chelsea or csm but i wouldn't quote me on it.

I dont know much about Glasgow School of Art other than it's supposed to be quite nice. They also have separate programs based around various media i.e you do your degree in painting, sculpture, photography etc which probably says a lot when compared to schools like csm, chelsea, goldsmiths etc just offer a program in fine art.

The RA and the RCA only offer postgrad programs. The RA is free if you get in and therefore impossibly selective and the RCA is the only grad program in London i think that organizes their courses with respect to media. The RCA is also definitely not as theoretically oriented as other grad programs like those at chelsea or goldsmiths.

that's all i know for now
    Oh your daughter should definitely check out bard as an lac for art.
    Possibly Wesleyan and Brown as well.
  • catmom2catmom2 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    thanks very much, Kaelyn. Much appreciated!
  • bears and dogsbears and dogs - Posts: 3,076 Senior Member
    8 year old art star in England. Does it anyway reflect how they do art there: value, style, education or selling?
    http://www.artdaily.org/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=39932
    because somehow I think it will become this, if it were here in US
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Kid_Could_Paint_That
    or this, if the kid was born in Eastern Europe and sounds euro-y
    http://www.northamericanartworks.com/pages/alex.htm
    80 years ago or so, that kid would have been a genius....

Anyone interested in getting a "feel" for British art would do well to look at the turner prize nominees and recipients. It might be especially illuminating if you compare their work to that presented in the various whitney biennials. Though, as is usual with every art capital, more conceptually oriented work rules the roost. For anyone currently in London, I would strongly recommend Wolfgang Tillmans at the serpentine as well as Francis Alÿs at the tate modern. Joana Vasconcellos at Haunch of Venison was also a fairly fun show to see if you're around though it's not what you might consider heavy.
    The irony is that, the prize is named after Turner, no?
  • loveblueloveblue Registered User Posts: 437 Member
    I love this thread a lot and did a search and found it again. here is my silly question:
    How to find: "major" contemporary galleries among so many galleries?
  • baronbvpbaronbvp Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    My daughter is an art major at Northeastern University in Boston, which is coincidentally across the street from the Museum of Fine Arts. They look like they have great undergrad and grad programs: http://www.art.neu.edu/documents/A+D_viewbook4web.pdf.

The school is also known for their world-class co-op program, where students can work in the field during semesters off -- usually for money, as opposed to unpaid internships. (This might only apply to undergrad students.)

Boston is a great city for networking, too. And the school has overseas semesters and study abroad; it's easy to fly to the UK and other parts of Europe from there.
    There's no objective criteria for discerning who's a major gallery and who isn't but you could flip through artforum and get a pretty decent impression from the ads. There are also different age brackets so andrea rosen, luhring augustine, david zwirner etc represent artists which are quite easy to discern as successful. Whereas Reena Spaulings, David Kordansky, Peres Projects etc deal with a much younger though equally as "relevant" kind of crowd.

I've been too lazy/busy to post the grad list in full but the findings are pretty much

go to Yale, Columbia or UCLA

If you can't get into those, go to Bard, Hunter or Calarts
  • studiomomstudiomom Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Kaelyn, What are your suggestions for the strongest MFA programs in sculpture?
  • JKeeltyJKeelty Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Outstanding Post! Thanks for sharing all your leg work!!
This discussion has been closed.