Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Summer program audition

nick da man 08nick da man 08 Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
I want to get into a summer music program but it is really tough to get into. I was wondering what should I play for the audition?
Post edited by nick da man 08 on

Replies to: Summer program audition

• binxbinx Registered User Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    Nick - not nearly enough information! Where? When? What instrument?

In general, most of the time you need to play something you play well. Don't worry about playing the "hardest" thing -- Audition committees want to you to sound GOOD. Play the thing you are most comfortable with, and let your tone, your musicality, your accuracy, show your ability. This kind of question is best handled by your private teacher, who knows where you shine.
  • nick da man 08nick da man 08 Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    Sorry the piano in Kentucky
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 71,671 Senior Member
    Eastern Music Festival in Greensboro NC has a piano program for HS and college students in the summer. Only 20 students are selected each year. Auditions are in the winter (jan, feb, march). I believe that Boston University Tanglewood Institute (Lenox, Massachusetts) also has a piano program for high school students. Your piano teacher should be able to help you choose repertoire to play. Both of these programs list the types of pieces suggested. Check out their websites.
  • veteranmomveteranmom Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Summer programs that require auditions are almost always quite specific about what they want applicants to play. If your teacher can't help you with this, you need to look for another teacher.
This discussion has been closed.