Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Send in deposit or wait???

redbug119redbug119 Registered User Posts: 880 Member
edited February 2010 in Visual Arts and Film Majors
My D just got her second acceptance letter, with merit aid letters being done in the next week or so. The 1st one that came was her # 3 choice school and she has her merit awards for that school already. The one that just arrived is from a school that vacillates between #1 and # 2 on her list. We have not heard from the other school at all yet. At what point do you send in a deposit? I hate to wait too long and then she ends up deciding on that one, but doesn't get first choice of classes/housing, etc because others got their deposits in sooner. Any thoughts?
Post edited by redbug119 on

Replies to: Send in deposit or wait???

  • worried_momworried_mom Registered User Posts: 2,205 Senior Member
    It's been our experience that there are really only two reasons to send in a deposit much before the May 1 deadline: (1) If your D has made her decision and knows for sure where she wants to go. In that case, it's only fair to other students -- who may be on waiting lists for the schools she has decided against -- to inform all of the schools of her decision. (2) If you're talking about schools where housing for freshmen is determined on a first-come/first served basis, then there may be an advantage to telling that school as soon as possible -- if you think there is at least a 50/50 chance that she will go there. Check each school's policy first, though. In many cases, just a housing deposit -- and not an enrollment deposit -- is required to get preferred housing, and the housing deposit may be refundable if your D changes her mind and notifies them before May 1. (That was the case at all of the State schools -- which is usually where housing seems to be a big issue -- that my sons applied to.)

    Quite frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about getting first choice of classes. There are very few schools that do class registration in the order that acceptances are received.

    I think it is extremely important for your D to know all of her options -- and for you to know the financial implications -- before deciding. You've already been waiting for at least a month or two, so another few weeks is not so bad. Unless you fall into one of the two cases I discussed above, I would have my D wait until she had heard from all of her schools before deciding.
  • redbug119redbug119 Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    Thanks, the letter said "classes are small and fill up fast", so I didn't know how to take it. Like %^&$ or get off the pot!
  • worried_momworried_mom Registered User Posts: 2,205 Senior Member
    Is this letter from a small private art school, maybe a for-profit school? I’ve never run across that sort of “veiled threat” (how else can you describe it?) to get you to commit before the common reply date of May 1.

    I think it’s worth a phone call or email to the school find out exactly how and when your D would register for classes if she decides to go there. If she would not do it until freshman orientation time anyway (which is the case at most schools), there’s no point in giving them an answer now. Also, ask how many classes she would actually get to pick. Many art/design programs have a foundation year where most of the classes are required and students only get to choose one elective (if any) the first semester, so if that’s the case there still would be no advantage to deciding early.

    And if they say she will get to choose all - or even most - of her classes, see if they are restricted to freshmen only. If not, ask if returning students have already been given the chance to register. At both of my sons’ schools, freshmen do not have any realistic chance of getting any classes that are not specifically designated as “freshman classes” since all of the available slots are already spoken for by returning students, who get priority with class registration. (Rising seniors choose first, then juniors, then sophomores, and incoming freshmen choose last.)
  • redbug119redbug119 Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    It's from MCAD, and says "Now that you have been accepted, the next step is to submit your tuition deposit" The deposit will enable you to register for classes, apply for housing and will reserve a place for you in the program. The deposit is due May 1, 2010. Please deposit early to ensure priority for registration. Our classes are small and fill quickly".
    Then there's another form that says "I accept admission... $150. is enclosed.. deposit will be credited to first semester tuition charges. " The other box you can check says "I decline admission... I intend to enroll at:, and then there's a blank space to fill in the name of the college you chose instead of them. Guess I'll be making a phone call to her ad counselor on Monday! Also, they do tell you the deposit is not refundable after May 1, as all do.
    They have "first year foundation" and "liberal arts core" the first year, so maybe it's the liberal arts classes they are talking about.
This discussion has been closed.