Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is Wake a target school?

KFC9876KFC9876 Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
edited March 2012 in Wake Forest University
I am interested in studying either finance or accounting, and I was wondering if Wake is considered a target school for investment banks. How do employers in the banking industry view Calloway? Is it considered on par with schools like UMich, Villanova, BC, Northwestern, etc?
Post edited by KFC9876 on

Replies to: Is Wake a target school?

• Wneckid99Wneckid99 Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    It's certainly known in the financial industry (especially accounting, where it's one of the top undergrad feeder programs).

I'd say it's on-par with Nova and BC in reputation, behind Northwestern and UMich. But this is just kind of a guess. I have no hard numbers or stats to back this up.
  • rockvillemomrockvillemom Registered User Posts: 7,113 Senior Member
    I recall reading that Calloway has the highest pass rate in the nation on the CPA exam. I'll try to find the link.

http://business.wfu.edu/newsDetail.aspx?id=855
    November 30, 2011

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Wake Forest Schools of Business students achieved the #1 pass rate in the nation on the Certified Public Accountant Exam among candidates (with and without advanced degrees) from nearly 2,000 colleges and universities. Wake Forest students have earned the top ranking nine times since the School began offering a Master of Science in Accountancy (MSA) degree in 1997, more than any other university during the same time period.

Wake Forest students led first-time exam candidates by achieving an overall pass rate of 96%, compared to the next closest university at 88% (among those who have not yet earned an advanced degree). The results were recently reported in the 2011 Edition of Candidate Performance on the Uniform CPA Examination. Nationally, the overall pass rate during this same period was less than 55%.
  • pinkcupcake14pinkcupcake14 Registered User Posts: 546 Member
    Wake's finance and accounting programs are academically rigorous and will well prepare you for jobs in those fields. All of those schools you mentioned are great business schools and I would venture to say that they are all somewhat similar with placement. I can speak from experience, though, that Wake grads get great business jobs (or tend to). The alumni network tends to help in this sense, as well -- since Wake is a small school its graduate network is much more close-knit.
  • KFC9876KFC9876 Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Thank you guys very much
    To add on: if you are in the accounting program, you are essentially guaranteed a job somewhere with at least a half-decent GPA. And they find you jobs for you.
  • KFC9876KFC9876 Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    I have definitely heard great things about all of the majors in the business school. Do you know anything about Wake's finance program? Or would you recommend just going with accounting?
    Depends what you like more. Accounting is 5 years and much more structured than finance. It also requires a 3 month internship from Jan-March your Senior year (4th year). But it does basically guarantee you a job, which finance doesn't necessarily do, though both are good programs.

Someone else who is actually in the biz school could give you more info.
  • pinkcupcake14pinkcupcake14 Registered User Posts: 546 Member
    Go with what you like the best!

If you like both finance and accounting, you can try out the FINM program, which is basically a combination of the two (it is also a five year program).
This discussion has been closed.