Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

decision time

Replies to: decision time

• mojojojo69mojojojo69 - Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    wouldnt you feel more comfortable with italians (someone who you would share similar feelings/ancestry with) than someone outside of your own? i dont know, thats the way i see it... its not more of having an issue...its more of having a common bond...something that you can talk about...:)
  • PBK MomPBK Mom Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    <<I doubt i will ever find a white person to speak japanese or perfect spanish>>

You just haven't met enough people yet...like my Caucasian cousin who speaks Japanese and studied in Tokyo for a year.
  • sandsunandsurfsandsunandsurf Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Although I am a white female, I am in the minority at my (majority minority) inner-city school. I deal with racial issues and questions in my school on a weekly basis. I feel that I have greatly benefited from this experience and I would not change a thing. However, I feel comfortable going to a campus such as Wake. I have learned the importance of diversity of skin color and believe that it should not be ignored, BUT I have learned something far greater. To truely benefit from diversity of culture, race, religion, etc. we have to be able to step outside of our comfort zones. We can only be affected by this diversity if we want to be... If you choose to become involved in forming relationships with those different from you, it doesn't matter whether there are 1,000 or 10,000 minorities, or whether there are 1,000 or 10,000 Caucasians. Stop viewing people as statistics and start seeing the numbers as individuals for you to interact with. This generation will not gain anything by trying to "self-segregate", as mojo suggests. I experience these attitudes everyday - they are dangerous and are getting us nowhere. Hopefully we can all work on embracing those around us next year a whatever college we choose.

mojo - I thought that you might be interested in reading the Student Body President's (he is black, by the way) position http://www.wfu.edu/~mathrm2/platform.html ... notice the first two words.
    sandsurf, i do agree with your points of views, but i was just stating that minorities do tend to self segregate as they feel more comfortable with someone they could relate to (other minorities), rather than feeling like outsiders. I know that i havent necessarily been as open as i should be, but that is where i will learn to grow as an individual and i'll see where this journey will take me :) With that said, uh im sure that you didnt like feeling like a minority in an all-minority school, which is what im trying to state, we dont feel comfortable being minorities... and im sorry for turning this topic into a race relation topic haha
  • scarletleavyscarletleavy Registered User Posts: 2,374 Senior Member
    Now back to the original topic.

I picked Wake for the very qualities you worry about. I attend a small private international school and for me the small classes and personal attention have meant everything. I have absolutely excelled in this environment. It is wonderful to personally know your teachers and have them know not just your name but personal things about you.

My older brother attended Wake, he graduated in 2003. He had come from a large Catholic school in Pennsylvania and I guess had not really had exposure to such an education environment. He loved it. He loved his freshman seminar. He got to know his professors very well. When we went to visit him one of his professors invited all of us over to his house for barbeque and swimming. You'd never get that at a larger less personal university. It was great for him to have small classes. You really have a chance to have a more personal experience, ask questions and have your voice and opinions heard. It's also a good chance to get to know your peers better- since there are less of them.

I couldn't imagine going to a larger school. When I looked at colleges I set my limit at 5000 undergrad and went from there. I'd say go visit Wake and see what you think. It all comes down to your opinion of the environment.
  • zoom1017zoom1017 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    thanks scarlet, that helps a lot. i think my visit this weekend will really bring things into perspective for me. the whole idea of interacting regularly and on a personal level with professors is so foreign to me just cause im more of an introverted person. however, i think itd be really beneficial and rewarding to have more involved professors and classmates
  • scarletleavyscarletleavy Registered User Posts: 2,374 Senior Member
    I'm also a quite introverted person. When I'm in a large class I find it difficult to speak up and participate. I also find it harder to approach teachers and other students. That's why I like the small close knit atmosphere. It really gives me a chance to come out of my shell.
  • mensa160mensa160 Registered User Posts: 1,224 Senior Member
    Wake is a great school, and the only type of diversity it lacks is intelligence -- everybody is smart. Congratulations for getting in.
  • mkm56mkm56 Registered User Posts: 3,062 Senior Member
    When my son was looking at schools last year, he looked at Chapel Hill, NC State and Wake Forest among some others. Even after being encouraged to apply for the Morehead at UNC, he said there was no way he would go to a big school after seeing them. Really hated the idea of being a number and even on the tours it seemed you were always waiting in line for something! Wake and Elon impressed him the most. As for diversity, this year as a freshman he is on a research team with grad students from Mexico, China, India and a mid eastern country (can't remember which one).
  • MOM06GRADMOM06GRAD Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Looks like Wake is looking to change some of their class requirments. I don't know when this will be implemented. Take a look at this article from today;s old gold and black, the Wake newspaper.

http://ogb.wfu.edu/?id=3347_0_9_0_M

My daughter will also be touring Wake this weekend. We have never seen the Wake Forest. We are arriving tomorrow and leaving Monday evening.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,953 Super Moderator
    Bring an umbrella. They're calling for rain this weekend. :( Also, I suggest y'all eat a couple meals at Wake. Current parents or students (mkm56? juba?) can tell you where to eat. They've renovated since I last visited. You also might want to check out the thread below.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=33248
  • VirginiaMomVirginiaMom Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Mom06Grad-D and I visited today. Drove down and back from Northern VA for essentially a three hour visit. Last visit was October 04 for Homecoming which was fun. We called a former student from her HS and she gave us a nice "insiders" look at Wake. One thing that has stood out from both trips are the number of students who say "hello". As I write this, it sounds so silly but people are quite friendly and it's nice to be there. Living situations-dorms, dining hall, campus-are quite nice and professors are accessible and interesting. This could be a very happy and satisfying four years for anyone. My back and neck are aching from the car ride but it was worth the trip.
  • zoom1017zoom1017 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    wake was amazing, for those of you who havent been there yet and are still deciding whether or not to attend, try and get down there! i loved the campus (which wasnt small at all by the way). i wasnt too impressed with downtown winstom-salem but hell, it looked like thered be plenty of on campus activities to compensate for a lack thereof in the city, overall, wake was basically sweet as hell and im definitely thinking that ill end up there next year
    just wondering, could anyone fill me in (since i live in the west coast) what is wrong with winstom-salem? are there like 0 stores or something?
  • PBK MomPBK Mom Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    My dad lived in Winston-Salem for a year in the late '90s, while working on a project in the area, and he thought it was a nice place, though small. Said there was a very nice mall and movie theater. There was enough for him to do when he wasn't working -- hopefully a student would find it close to the same, since so much of a student's time would be devoted to studies or campus-based activities anyway.
This discussion has been closed.