Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

decision time

13»

Replies to: decision time

• Onedown3togoOnedown3togo Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    There is nothing at all wrong with Winston-Salem! It is a delightful city of about 170,000. It's a very "artsy" town - lots of plays, concerts, etc. going on at all times, plus lots of opportunities to get involved in community service. True, there's no strip like Franklin St. in Chapel Hill where all the students can go and congregate, build bonfires to celebrate athletic victories, and drink themselves into oblivion. If this is your main criterion for choosing a college, then perhaps Wake Forest and Winston-Salem are not a good match for you. I thoroughly enjoyed W-S as a student in the late 70s and was able to get involved in Big Brothers/Big Sisters and tutor at the children's home near campus. My son is a freshman at Wake and loves the city, esp. all the theatre stuff going on, since that is his major.
    Some more information about Winston-Salem:
    There's a large mall (Hanes Mall) that for many years was the largest mall between Washington and Atlanta (although it may have been surpassed in recent years by Concord Mills, about one hour to the south). There are lots of restaurants and movie theaters. The beach is about 4 hours to the SE; the mountains are an hour or two to the NE, although there are some small mountains and state parks within 30 minutes (e.g. Hanging Rock State Park and Pilot Mtn.) For road trips or to visit friends at other schools, UNC, Duke, Appalachian St., Elon, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Greensboro, Davidson, NC State and many other colleges are all within a 1-2 hour drive.
    I hope this information helps. Good luck with your decision!
  • mojojojo69mojojojo69 - Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    oh, then its not a bad place afterall...people made it sound like it was in the middle of nowhere...
    No, it's not a bad place at all - just not your typical "college town" like Chapel Hill where the whole town is centered around the university.
    Correction: I should have said the mountains are to the NW.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,950 Super Moderator
    Yes, there's lots to do in W-S. Sciworks (a hands-on science museum) and Old Salem (and Bethabara) are two of my favorite places in NC. Tanglewood's Festival of Lights at Christmas is amazing. There's also a bakery near campus (Great Harvest) that makes TO DIE FOR breads. :)
  • mojojojo69mojojojo69 - Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    Does anyone know if they play movies before release?
13»
This discussion has been closed.