Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

fit in at wake?

ChrissyMChrissyM Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
edited April 2006 in Wake Forest University
Is it true that the Wake Forest body is known for its good looks, and preppiness?
Would an average looking, non-preppy, non-sorority girl or boy fit in at Wake?
Is the student body cliquish?
Is the student body mainly white and rich or upper-class?
Post edited by ChrissyM on

Replies to: fit in at wake?

• mkm56mkm56 Registered User Posts: 3,062 Senior Member
    Chrissy,
    You probably want someone else's opinion since I am a parent and not a student. But to me the students just looked "normal". I didn't see alot of students with multiple piercings, etc. What I saw was blue jeans, khakis, tshirts, basketball shorts, sandals and just "average" stuff. My son did not join a frat--some of his friends did and some didn't and they all still socialize fine. As far as the rich, upper-class label----there are students from wealthy prep school backgrounds and others from lower income homes, and probably alot more from middle income public school.

This link may answer some of your questions
    http://www.wfu.edu/ir/factbook-2004-2005/index.html
  • mkm56mkm56 Registered User Posts: 3,062 Senior Member
    Just noticed you are from NY. About 1/3 of the guys on my son's floor were from NY--you'll feel right at home!
  • rockergrrl31rockergrrl31 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm a freshman here (rising sophomore). In answer to your question: yes the student body is pretty preppy, somewhat cliquish, mostly Greek, and mostly upper class. However, I consider myself none of those things, and I have a great group of friends and really like it here. It's easy to make friends, even people that you wouldn't think that you would be friends with.
  • juba2jivejuba2jive Registered User Posts: 1,001 Member
    Yeah, I'm not terribly preppy (most comfortable in a t-shirt, non-designer jeans, and Rainbows or Converse depending on the temperature), pretty average looking, not in a sorority, and I think I fit ok...

Yes, there are a good deal of Greeks (especially girls), but it's not the end of the world. I mean, sometimes I kind of feel peer pressure to be Greek just by the sheer numbers of girls that are, but I also know I wouldn't be happy doing it, just because that's not who I am...plus I'm really cheap, and couldn't fathom spending an extra grand a semester of my own money just to be able to wear those silly t-shirts. Then again, you may get here and decide you want to rush and end up pledging; I know several girls who didn't want to at first and are now in sororities.

I would agree that the students do tend to be rather preppy and mostly upper to middle class. They do tend to clique off somewhat but I think you'll find that cliques in college aren't as serious and as socially exclusive as those in HS.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.