right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Is Wake Forest LGBT friendly?

confusedlesbianconfusedlesbian 0 replies1 threads New Member
Hey everyone! I'm a current high school senior who was recently accepted to Wake Forest class of 2024. Wake is where I really want to go and the only thing holding me back from committing is the fact that I'm gay. I've heard that Wake Forest is more conservative than most colleges, which doesn't bother me that much. However, I do want to make sure I won't be ostracized for my sexuality. I know that there are a few other posts on here about this topic, but they are all from several years ago, so I would love a more updated perspective, preferably from a current Wake student or parent.
3 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is Wake Forest LGBT friendly?

• ImmaShanghaiYouImmaShanghaiYou 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi! I'm also an accepted student to WFU class of 2024 and I'm from China. I actually have a similar concern of yours, that whether minorities are gonna get respected or not... Anyway, personally, I support ya for holding your own preference, but I am not that sure whether the atmosphere there is friendly to gay people. I would recommend that you remain silent for a while, see how things are going around the campus, and then decide whether to transfer to schools like Umich (which is really easy to get in as transfer students). After all, Wake is definitely a great school and it deserves your going there. Good luck and see you in September!
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 6632 replies145 threads Senior Member
    edited March 29
    It’s a college campus in the United States in 2020. It’s going to be accepting and open in general.

Wake is in the south, even that doesn’t really mean much today, but it’s a national and international school and lots of students from the very liberal east coast.

Plus the students, like you, are incredibly smart and accomplished including community service. You’ll be fine and boy is it a pretty campus and overall nice weather.

Congrats. It’s a real compliment to your achievements.
    edited March 29
    · Reply · Share
  • verycornfusedverycornfused 10 replies0 threads New Member
    Current Freshman here. I would say Wake is a very accepting place. The LGBT office is very visible and they have a "affinity group" (not sure if that is the right term?). From my experience, the gay students I know are either very involved in it, or not at all. It seems to be what you make of it.

As for the conservative part, I'd say it's about 60/40 liberal/conservative in the student body. That seems to be more conservative than other top 30 schools, but it doesn't really mean anything. You'll meet people who prefer lower taxes, don't advocate raising the minimum wage, or who support the President of the United States (gasp!). I suspect that there is a high correlation between the students from Whitetown, CT or California and those who say Wake is conservative. It's all relative.
    · Reply · Share