Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Homework at Wash U?

dstarkdstark Registered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
How much hw does the business or econ major get in a week?
Post edited by dstark on

Replies to: Homework at Wash U?

• jdmhsujdmhsu Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I graduated from WU recently as a business student.

Business majors are part of the business school. We don't have econ majors - or at least not many. Business classes are, for the most part, pretty easy first year. I would say you spend about 3-4 hours outside of class for every class in your first year. Considering you might take just 2-3 b-school classes, that's not a lot of time. 2nd or 3rd year? It depends on which major.

The hardest thing is group projects. At Wash U, they really hone that skill in, and there's many-a mad rush to get things completed with group projects. Almost every class has a ridiculous group assignment that's semester-long. Some are more reasonable than others, but that's where your time will be sunk into - learning how to work with people. Naturally, when working with other people, you'll get those that don't hold up their weight or are hard to deal with. That's the most stressful part and that's what will suck up your time. But that's what will give you the best skills later on when you graduate.

Your biggest chunk of homework will probably come from your required english and math classes. They tend to be the hardest thing for people first year.

All-in-all, though, I'd tell you that it's a great experience. The flexibility of the program there (dual-majors, etc) is amazing. Good luck!
  • dstarkdstark Registered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    Did Wash U help you get a job?
  • jdmhsujdmhsu Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Their career center great - but only if you work. They do take a really pro-active approach to getting you involved - via e-mail, flyers, etc - I mean, you can't miss it. But in the end, you have to actively seek opportunities. And there are plenty. But they make it your responsibility. There's so many resources, and you have to know what you want. You have to make it a priority.

They give you multiple avenues of getting interviews. They bring big companies on-campus like Citigroup, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, Goldman Sachs, etc. They offer you contacts through HR departments. They have a database of alumni connections. They bring in speakers from different companies. They even sound out CDs with your resume on it to firms to look through and search through. It's pretty fancy.

But for the most part, if you stay on track and make it a priority, there's a good chance you'll be hired by the time you graduate.

BTW - they have a dedicated career center for the B-school, which, in my opinion, is leaps better than the general one for the school, or the engineering one.
  • lazboardzlazboardz Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    OMG...jdmhsu, I am a transfer student who has got into WashU for a dual degree in both MechE from the engineering school and also a Finance degree from Olin (I am looking to go into investment banking in a top firm). Since you seem to be a wealth of knowledge on both of these schools, I would appreciate everything that you know about both schools...everything from average GPA's in the classes, internships, jobs after you get out, grad school, everyday life, best dorms housing, etc. Thanks man, I really apreciate it.
  • dstarkdstark Registered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    jdmhsu, thanks for the information.
This discussion has been closed.