Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

CHANCES for WASHU etc

validationvalidation Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
edited August 8 in What Are My Chances?
Chance me for Washu early decision
NYU
Northeastern
Northwestern
UNC

General info:
I go to a rural small public school with 400 kids in KY.
first generation college student.

Major: Accounting or Computer Science or both
I will probably apply to Engineering school for CS

We have 5 AP classes: AP Literature, AP Language, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, and AP World.
I took AP Literature junior and AP Biology sophomore year.
My friend(he moved) and I were the only sophomores to take AP Biology and we both were the only ones who passed with a 3.
I wanted to take AP Chemistry this year but couldn't.
Instead of AP Language and AP World, I'm taking dual credit(english 101/102 and us history post civil war).
Overall, I would consider my schedule to be one of the most rigorous in the class.

GPA: 3.88 U/W
4.0 Freshman and Junior year
3.64 Sophomore
(B+ in honors world civ, B 90 in Honors algebra 2, 79 C in digital literacy(teacher gave me a zero on a paper the last hour of the last day that I didn't know I had to complete) and 90 in principles of agriculture

ACT: Taking it in September. I took a practice test(from past tests) last night and got 35E 32M 34R 28S with 32.25C My highest scores(I've taken 11 practice tests now) are 36e 32m 34r 32s with 33.5C. I expect to get a 31-34 composite on the September test.

EC:

1. Certified Nursing Assistant license (worked at nursing home for 32-40hrs)
2. Writing and making my own music (10th, 11th)
3. Working out (8th, 9th ,10th ,11th, 12th) 2-3hrs a day
4. Future Business Leaders of America (10th, 11th, 12th)
5. Health Occupation Students of America (10th, 11th, 12th)
6. BETA club (11th, 12th)
7. Pep Club (10th, 11th, 12th)
8. I plan to get a job soon
9. Plan to join academic team
10. Might join French Club and run for officer
Ran for class president sophomore year (Idk if I put this down or not)

Recommendations:
I think my recs will be pretty good. I have 3 teachers in mind but I will probably ask my AP Bio/Bio teacher and Accounting/FBLA Advisor teacher(currently I have her 3 times this year)
I think my counselor will give me an okay-good rec.

Essay:
I have already written my essay, but I'm not sure if I like it. I could send it. It's about the death of my mom in 9th grade and the effects of it and how I've grown. I think that's the topic I'm going to stick with but I will probably change the way its worded.

Replies to: CHANCES for WASHU etc

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,569 Senior Member
    edited August 8
    You've written your essay?? A year early?

Before you know what your targets look for?
    With a list of ECs you haven't done yet? Serious?
  • validationvalidation Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    @lookingforward I'm a senior? and I've done all these ECs but I meant I plan to join the academic team this year
    Ohhhkay. Sorry, I missed the jr gpa.
    So nursing or the others? If stem, will you have chem and physics?

Do a quick study of what your targets look for. If there are activities you omitted here, consider adding to your list those that show strengths and balance. (You're showing in-school and what seems like personal/solitary hobbies-?) And review your essay in light if what your targets value and look for, the attributes.

Any community service or volunteering?
    @lookingforward For targets, I plan on applying to University of Kentucky & maybe Roosevelt University in Chicago. So basically just gpa and test scores. I have chemistry, physics, anatomy, ap biology, and biology. I wanted to take AP chemistry but I can't because of scheduling. I'm leaning towards computer science but I don't know much about it so I'm going to try to learn some but it's difficult to find good materials online. I used Khan Academy for a while but I wasn't learning anything I felt. I was thinking about doing an Accounting and Computer Science double major also. Washu doesn't have a nursing program. I can't think of any other extra curriculars currently maybe I am just forgetting some. For BETA Club, I volunteered but it was minimum not like 100 hours. There aren't many opportunities at my school like creating clubs and stuff like that. The best thing we have going is vocational programs like CNA and welding. My essay is about the death of my mom but I'm not sure if it's that great tbh.
    edited August 8
    Ahhh. The picture gets clearer. ;)
    And yes. The schools with HOSA are often focused on things like CNA, tech, not the academic side.

So some of the other schools named are reach choices? Dig into them. "What we look for" and the sorts of kids they brag about, the varied sorts of things those kids are involved in, as a clue. Is there something you volunteered on that you can return to, not for the hours count, but to show commitment and some responsibility? You have UK as your safety, so this is for the reaches.
  • MrSamford2014MrSamford2014 Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    Wash U is a great school, but it also ranks among the least economically and socially diverse of elite American colleges. Your background--rural Kentucky and, especially, first-generation college student--might therefore really appeal to the adcoms at Wash U who are looking to address the lack of diversity.

You also have a powerful backstory: Losing your mom at a young age (freshman in HS) is a devastating blow and a huge challenge. Your academic achievements and ECs need to be put in the context of that crucial backstory. Hopefully, your essay accomplishes this work of contextualization. Wash U should be left in no doubt that you are person who has overcome incredible personal challenges and who hails from a background that would bring a much-needed "alternative" point of view into the student body.

A lot will depend on your final ACT scores. If you can nail a 34, I think you have a strong chance of getting in ED. A 33 would also put you well in the frame. With a 31 or 32, you're left hoping that your compelling background can make up for a score that is lower than ideal for Wash U (a school that particularly values strong test scores).

My advice to you would be twofold: Continue to work like crazy on prepping for the ACT, and don't be afraid to take it more than once if your initial results are not good; hone the essay so that it paints a clear picture of the unique perspective that you would bring to the table as a Wash U student, a perspective that includes understanding the realities of human loss and suffering. Good luck!
    @lookingforward Yeah, usually our clubs just do fundraisers to raise money for the competitions. They only do like 2-3 fundraisers though so the competitions tend to be like 150+ dollars ish. Also the majority of the people are pretty unmotivated. Even the kids that take the honors and accelerated(like Geometry not algebra 1 freshmen year; biology not integrated science freshmen year) are not very motivated or smart. A couple of people in the accelerated classes can barely pass. About a quarter-third get ACT scores below 20. Also basically what youre saying is google like what Washu looks for in students and then frame my app to kinda fit that but without being untruthful?
    Yes. You may need to hunt for it. You will need to approach this analytically and not stop with thr first hints. But it will help. Then you fine tune your activities and can start to form a strategy.

"Wash U should be left in no doubt that you are person who has overcome incredible personal challenges..." This needs to be, "Show, not just tell." And thid is partly why you need to dig. To know how and what to show.
    @MrSamford2014 I have written two different essays that are written differently but about the same topic. i could send it to you if you would like to see it. a 34 will be difficult but I have a month to study plus the october test.
  • JamesTheKingJamesTheKing Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I say High Match and do what lookingfoward said! I think you have a shot!

Chance me back!

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/2011167-chance-me-please-from-illinois-p1.html?new=1