right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Advice on admission chances for Washington U of St. Louis

dtropedtrope 3 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
My son is a rising senior and just visited Wash U. Prior number one choice was Notre Dame but now Wash U after our visit. He plans to apply ED. He has a 4.2 weighted GPA, 5 AP classes all with 4 or 5 scores to date, 1560 SAT(780L & 780M), interested in Bio and got 780 on bio subject test, 4 years of crew with 2years varsity. 1 internship, summer job, NHS and several community/service activities through our church
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Advice on admission chances for Washington U of St. Louis

• Waldo755Waldo755 138 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Visiting and showing interest is very important to WashU, so I think he is in great shape. Did he interview while there?
    · Reply · Share
  • dtropedtrope 3 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
    Thanks. We tried but interviews were not available that day. We live in PA so getting back to do so is not possible
    · Reply · Share
    Hopefully he will be offered an alumni interview -- it just depends on where you live, and if there are alum close by. You do not need one as it is hard to reach everyone who applies. If possible, attend a college fair that WashU is attending. Good luck to your son!
    · Reply · Share
  • janesmithjanesmith 325 replies43 postsRegistered User Member
    Agree that Wash U has traditionally considered expression of interest. Applying ED is probably the best way to show interest, but having an alumni interview would be good too.
    Is your son thinking premed? Lots of kids wanting premed apply to WashU--they can't take them all, so it's a competitive bucket to be in. Your son's stats are outstanding, for sure. (My SIL was premed at WashU (Chem major), and also from Pennsylvania. Terrific premed program.)
    Crew is only a Club program, so your son won't be recruited. Still, varsity sports is a plus. Full-pay would be another plus.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks. He is not interested on rowing in college. We can do full pay so hopefully a plus. He is going to reach out to see if there is an opportunity for an alumni interview locally.
    · Reply · Share
  • DGDG 104 replies3 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Exciting! When did you visit Wash U and was it one of their special visit days where they highlight the major and go into more detail?
    · Reply · Share
    Not a special visit day. Originally wanted to but could not make it work. Everything was wonderful even though it was a rainy day with no students there. Gorgeous campus, amazing dorms, wonderful neighborhood especially Delmar Loop. The amount of support provided to students and the community feel discussed were impressive. I had never been to St.Louis and frankly had fairly low expectations which were totally changed. This was the last of our college visits and we have been on quite a few. This was a last minute add at recommendation from a friend and now is his number 1.
    · Reply · Share
    WashU is a special school -- it has the same feeling now for my student as it did 30 years ago when I attended.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2307 replies30 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    With those academic numbers plus demonstrated interest (visit + full pay/ED), admission chances are good.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2307 replies30 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Also check the following for interview options:

https://admissions.wustl.edu/visit_site/Pages/FAQs.aspx
    · Reply · Share