right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

Chances for WashU 2024

Hi! I am starting my college applications and I was hoping I could get some outside perspective on how likely WashU is for me getting in, since I don't know much of what they are looking for, etc...
ACT: 34 (35 superscore)
GPA: 3.8 UW, 4.3 W
AP's - World History (3), Comp Sci P (4), Comp Sci A (4), Physics (4), Lang (4),US History(4)
Classes - 5 AP's this year, have taken many computer science classes outside AP, 3 years of spanish, JROTC for 3 years
Demonstrated Interest - Visited the school and had a student interview - very nice!
Major - Physics, second choice being earth and planetary science
State - Alabama
Applying as RD, as I can't afford to possibly get in ED and not get enough financial aid.
Volunteering: Some, but not a lot. Volunteered at the special olympics each year, and a few various things around locally.
EC's:
Quiz Bowl - 3 years, captain this year
JROTC Drill Team - 3 years, captain junior year
CyberPatriot - 4 years, captain of teams my sophomore year and this year.
Math team - 3 years, no real leadership roles available in the club
Violin - been playing for around 6 years as a personal hobby, played in an orchestra over the summer last year
Helped tutor kids in physics/programming/math around my school for about three years.

Wondering my chances seeing as I don't have any research/job experience, or anything grand.

1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances for WashU 2024

• HamurtleHamurtle 2740 replies36 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2019
    Geographic diversity will help-I don’t think that there are too many Alabama students at WashU. GPA and ACT scores are in range. Demonstrated interest helps as well.

I wouldn’t submit the AP scores as they are not as high compared to your GPA/ACT. Mostly 4’s are pretty decent scores, but a lot of applicants will have all 5’s. However if you are taking AP Physics C and get a 5 on the Mechanics/Electricity and Magnetism tests, you get credits for the 2 classes in the Introductory Physics sequence.

Warning about Physics at WashU-it’s one of the majors where the lower division classes aren’t taught that well. A lot of STEM majors have had issues with the introductory classes in the sequence.
    edited October 2019
    · Reply · Share