Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Can I be accepted into Wesleyan University?

soccerdude15soccerdude15 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
edited May 2008 in Wesleyan University
I want to do premed (Biology major)

In a decently competitive public school.
My class rigor....

1/3 honors classes 9th grade
3/4 honors classes sophomore year
3/4 honors classes junior year
3/4 honors classes senior year
(5 APs in all)

-Overall GPA 3.7 weighted it is 4.3
- SAT's 2100 (should I retake?)
- volunteer at the hospital, member of student council, on the varsity soccer team since sophomore year, in 3 major clubs and might be able to get some leadership positions in them, VP of class, Secretary of Celebrations club, a lot of small clubs, volunteer at the library, on a club soccer team ranked 20th in the nation, a soccer buddy for children of special needs soccer league, and tutor children at the local YMCA( about 700 hrs of volunteering/ community service in all).
-NHS and Gold in Russian speaking competition.
- ranked 50th out of 700 in class.
- Speak Russian as second language

Thanks.
Post edited by soccerdude15 on

Replies to: Can I be accepted into Wesleyan University?

• johnwesleyjohnwesley - Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    i don't understand. are you planninng on transferring? it sounds as if this is your senior year.
  • soccerdude15soccerdude15 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    no im in my junior year of high school I just know what classes I'm taking next year.
  • colberTreporTcolberTreporT Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    From the perspective of a current waitlistee, I would say you have about a 50% chance because I had similar stats (though a heavier course load) and I was waitlisted. I think if you can find a way to show special interest in wesleyan through the application--since Wes doesn't have a supplemental it's harder--you could clinch it. But this task is harder than you think, again due to the lack of supplemental. I think this is the reason I personally failed to gain acceptance, even though I had pretty decent stats.
    What if I apply ED? What would my chances be then?
    Yeah, ED would help, because that is one way to show that you have a very high authentic interest in Wesleyan. I didn't apply ED only because I wasn't sure at the time around the ED deadline whether or not I would definitely attend Wesleyan. But I wish I did apply ED, and if you are certain Wesleyan is your top choice, you should definitely apply ED. By applying ED and writing a stellar common app essay by taking lots of time do it over the summer, I am confident you would be accepted, and at the very least be waitlisted, and if you're waitlisted, you can try to bust your chops like I am and win over the admissions officers. And if you retake the SAT, and score a 2150-2200, which I am confident you can do with a little organized self-study over the summer, you would probably clinch it, though I don't think this would be necessary.
  • matthewaengelmatthewaengel Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    ED would help greatly. Statistically it would almost double your chances of admission. Like people have mentioned earlier, all of Wesleyans candidates are academically qualified. So being accepted is just a mater of standing out though a unique passion, hobby, skill, etc.
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 28,534 Super Moderator
    My d applied two years ago with the same GPA and higher SATs. She was rejected. ED would probably help you.
  • calgalcalgal Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    Your interest in science and commitment to soccer will help you. Also the rigor of your high school program. I think you have a very good chance, but agree with posters that ED would be the way to go if you are certain Wes is #1 for you.
  • EMM1EMM1 Registered User Posts: 2,583 Senior Member
    Are you a recruitable soccer player? If so, your first step should be to contact the coach.
    Woah the answers here vary greatly lol. Chedva said that her daughter who has a little bit better stats than me didn;t get in but calgal said i had a very good chance. Which one is it? I will apply ED and I might contact the soccer coach. Also, I think I want to retake my SAT, I'm aiming for about a 2200- 2250. my Gpa might be a small bit higher but I'm not totally sure yet possibly a 3.75 or maybe if I get lucky a 3.8. With a 2200 and a 3.8 GPA and research at a private lab what would my exact chances be?
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 28,534 Super Moderator
    Remember, soccerdude, there's more than just stats that go into an evaluation of an application. I was merely giving you a data point. But since my d didn't play soccer (or any sport), that may have tipped the balance. Since she's female, that may have tipped the balance.

In the end, no one can say with any degree of certainty what your "chances" are. Make your application as strong as it can be, and take your shot at it.
    I also did research. But to make it count, you have to submit to Intel and Westinghouse, and get some placement. If you get semifinalist status at either competition, you're gold, guaranteed, even if you don't improve your SAT scores. But considering those competitions are very biased and the judges are rather idiots, I wouldn't count on placing unless your research adviser has had previous students with success in the tournaments and he/she says you'll probably place too.

BUT, if you apply with a 2200 and a slightly higher unweighted GPA (which would mean higher class rank, right?) and if you apply ED, I don't think anyone on this thread would doubt that you will get in as long as you don't **** up your essays too badly.

Just be sure you know what you're getting into by applying ED though, there's no turning back (though with Wes I would think you're making a good choice).
This discussion has been closed.