Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Jewish life?

poligirlpoligirl Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
edited May 2008 in Wesleyan University
Could someone let me know if there are some Jewish kids at Wes? I'm not super religious, but I would like to know if there is an active enough community on campus that I could go to for say, a holiday service or meal.
Post edited by poligirl on

Replies to: Jewish life?

• smartalic34smartalic34 Registered User Posts: 777 Member
    wesleyan is about 20-30% jewish with a very active jewish community. there are shabbat services/meal and of course all of the holidays are celebrated.

see Wesleyan University - Jewish Community for more info!
  • WeskidWeskid Registered User Posts: 1,288 Senior Member
    The Jewish community here is really active and also really accepting...I only go to shabbat once in a very rare while and don't know nearly as much as most people there, but they are always really nice and welcoming anyway! Basically, the Jewish community here rocks my socks off. For someone who just wants to go for holidays/the occasional shabbat, I don't think you could find a better community. They even have their own house, so all the food is homecooked.
  • poligirlpoligirl Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    Thank you all for such good information. Now I REALLY want to check out Wes!
  • wraider2006wraider2006 Registered User Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    The Usdan Marketplace has its own Kosher section with lots of delicious food and during Passover they have special meals and stuff for students. Also there is a Jewish program house that I think is called the Bayit.
  • poligirlpoligirl Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    Thanks-these things are good to know and pretty helpful!
  • madjoymadjoy Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    Dude, the Jewish community here is awesome. I'm pretty active in the community - I go to services every week, and help plan some of the events - and I barely ever went to services when I lived at home. The Jewish community here is just so warm and welcoming, and throws lots of fun events open to the whole community. There's also a lot of interfaith work that goes on, which I really appreciate. There's lots of singing, and most things are student-organized and student-led... If you have any particular questions, i can try to answer them :)
This discussion has been closed.