Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Merit Aid at Wesleyan University?

SPWinsorSPWinsor Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited September 2010 in Wesleyan University
Hi, I'm confused: the Wesleyan.edu website says they do not give merit-based aid but Collegeboard.com shows "Average Merit Aid" at $38K. Has anyone here gotten merit aid from Wesleyan? Is this a terminology problem like "Aid" vs. "Discount". Thanks for any help!
Post edited by SPWinsor on

Replies to: Merit Aid at Wesleyan University?

• johnwesleyjohnwesley - Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    the closest thing to merit-aid that Wesleyan gives out are the Freeman Scholarships which are specifically aimed at applicants from Taiwan, Singapore, South Asia and certain parts of the Pacific rim. So yeah, since they're full-ride regardless of income, I guess they could average 38k a year, but, it would be misleading to imply that Wesleyan gives out merit aid to everyone.
  • FutureholdsFutureholds Registered User Posts: 571 Member
    why would they give oreferentil aid to pacific rimm students? That's the main applicant pool in the west
  • johnwesleyjohnwesley - Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    What might look easy for a large West Coast university, isn't so easy for a small, relatively unknown, New England college with no engineering school. Wesleyan is lucky that one of AIG's founders (before it collapsed) was an alum with an abiding interest in promoting better relations between America and the emerging countries of the rim (and I should have said _Southeast_ Asia, not South Asia in post #2). The foundation he set up funded 22 scholarships a year for fifteen years until the number had to be cut in half due to the global financial crisis.
This discussion has been closed.