Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What are my chances for appeal

maya647722maya647722 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited October 2011 in What Are My Chances?
I recently applied to grad school, with a gpa of 3.45, even though there are no minimum requirements for gmat scores, I scored very low. about a 370. My application was rejected. I applied for an appeal stating my reason for the low gmat score, and asking for it to be overlooked. I stated that my gpa shows my real ability in school. I explained that my low gmat score was due to the financial situation I am in at the moment. Both my parents had lost their jobs a while back, even though things have improved, I am going to school on financial aid alone, I could not afford materials that other students could to prepare for the exam. I had trouble just paying for the exam itself. I also stated that I had recently received an internship for my area of study to further improve my appeal chances. What are my chances of a successful appeal?
Post edited by maya647722 on

Replies to: What are my chances for appeal

• boysx3boysx3 Registered User Posts: 5,164 Senior Member
    You haven't specified the school or the program you applied to, so there is no way anyone can assess the chance of an appeal. What are the grades and scores of the applicants accepted to the program to which you applied? How close are you to their average accepted applicant? Is your 3.45 in the general accepted range for the program?
    and is the 3.45 your gpa overall, or the gpa in your major?

Unfortunately a 370 is very, very low. Even without preparation it seems that most grad school-caliber students would do better than that, assuming that prospective grad students would have had extensive reading, writing and quantitative experience as part of their undergraduate preparation.

The best thing you could do for yourself is go to the library .... libraries are free, all libraries have GRE materials. Or borrow them from friends that have completed the GRE.

Take them out and practice, practice, practice, and when you are thoroughly prepared take the GRE again, and reapply. Also, see if you can get strong letters in support of your application from your professors, testifying to your academic ability, if you have not already done so.

Another thing for you to consider is that your financial situation may have played in to the decision to reject your application. The admissions committee for the program may have felt that you might have too much financial pressure on you at the moment to be successful in the program....if you are already completely reliant on loans, and would need to take out additional extensive loans for the grad program (as you are unlikely to receive funding as you are not one of the top applicants) and you would also be needing to work a significant number of hours to make ends meet, they may have believed that you might be an unlikely prospect to finish a rigorous graduate program successfully.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.