Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances for MIT, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Penn, and Stanford

2»

Replies to: Chances for MIT, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Penn, and Stanford

• brad89brad89 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    ur 36 friend....did he have a lot of EC's? If so...what helps?
    Thanks
  • Chomsky1488Chomsky1488 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    Not many EC's. Just a bunch a math stuff, very similar to you. He takes classes at a local university. He plays one sport (golf), NHS, and he tutors in math. I would say you are a lot more qualified than my friend who got in with a 32, but similar to 36. Since your strong point is math, why not tutor some kids after school?
  • bobbobbobbobbobbob Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    ...no ecs? nothing that makes you stand out.
  • i'llbebacki'llbeback Registered User Posts: 331 Member
    u ppl do realize that colleges want people with solid grades as much as they want ppl with EC's? ofcourse good grades+EC's would be great,,, but i kinda think solid grades is enough.

(im at duke and think i got in almost purely on EC's and SAT scores..) but there are enough people here who have just solid grades.. and their doing fine.
  • beck86njbeck86nj Registered User Posts: 805 Member
    Chomsky, doesn't your friend realize that Stanford is a MUCH better place to live and gets people much more recognition?

One of the things that I love about Olin is that no one is here for prestige. People come to Olin because they think what Olin is doing is important, because they want to help shape a new school, and because Olin 'fits' them, not because the sweatshirt they buy in the bookstore will impress their parents' friends.
  • iCantThinkOfaName2iCantThinkOfaName2 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Olin is sooo small. I don't know how you can ahndle that.
  • brad89brad89 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    any more comments on my chances plz and how about cal tech as well
    thanks
2»
This discussion has been closed.