Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances for MIT, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Penn, and Stanford

brad89brad89 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
edited February 2006 in What Are My Chances?
What are my chances?

I am curious about my chances of getting into MIT, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Penn, or Stanford.
I am a junior in Wisconsin and am strong in math.

Current Schedule and 1st Semester Grades-
Calculus And Analytical Geometry III (at local college)- A
AP American Studies- History-A CA-A
German IV- A
AP Physics- A
Honors Band- A
Personal Financial Management- A (required course)
Currently Taking Differential Equations at the local college

I have a UWGPA of 3.9 and an ACT of 35 (36 Math, 36 English, 36 Science, 30 Reading)

I have won the MAA at my school the last two years and advanced in the AMC 12 last year.

I have taken 4 AP Classes and many Honor classes as well as my two college classes. My schedule is as difficult as my school allows.

My EC's-
Weekly Boys and Girls Club volunteer
NHS
Golf Team at HS
Band
Math Club
probably more but I can't think of them

I am thinking about doing the National Youth Leadership Forum for Medicine. I was wondering if that would help.

I am interested in biomedical engineering, planning on going to med school.

Thanks for looking. I appreciate comments because I am not sure how I measure up.
Post edited by brad89 on

Replies to: Chances for MIT, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Penn, and Stanford

• ohio_momohio_mom Registered User Posts: 4,045 Senior Member
    You are a valid applicant at your colleges ... but that doesn't mean you will be accepted. All of the schools on your list are very competitive, and and be looking at EC's, essays and diversity (including geographic) in the admissions process. You need to add some schools with a higher admissions rate to ensure that you will be going somewhere next fall. Case Western's biomed has a very highly ranked biomed program - that would be a likely admit for you.
  • intherow1250intherow1250 Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    Instead of going to a National Youth Leadership conference, why don't you try something in your own community? Anything ranging from jobs, community service, etc would be nice...

[url]http://www.****.com[/url]
  • BingColdBingCold Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    the ec's do not really stand out, so i'd say you have about same chance as average applicant to those schools
  • raindrop1019raindrop1019 Registered User Posts: 959 Member
    Nat'l Youth Leadership forum on medicine will not help your chances, but might be a good experience to see if pre-med is right for you. I think you have a good chance at JHU and Penn. Case Western would be a good safety for you.
  • The.EndThe.End Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    Moderate chances
  • brad89brad89 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    what are good programs to get involved in to make yourself stand out?
    how do u get involved in research...more analysis of my chances would be appreciated as well
  • FlippyFlippy - Posts: 1,284 Senior Member
    MIT, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Penn, and Stanford

MIT: Big Reach
    Duke: Slight reach
    Johns Hopkins: Match
    Penn: Slight reach
    Stanford: Big Reach
    what would i have to improve...why are they big reaches?
  • Chomsky1488Chomsky1488 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    You sound pretty similar to one person who got in to stanford from my school so i wouldn't say its a big reach. Maybe a slight reach
    MIT and Stanford are reaches for pretty much everyone but either geniuses (then they're match) or really amazing people (again, only match).

You have shown that you are not either, so yeah.

You have pretty weak ECs.
    Also check out Olin, my friend who got into stanford is also thinking of going there
    chomsky...what EC's and test scores did ur friend have?
    Chomsky, doesn't your friend realize that Stanford is a MUCH better place to live and gets people much more recognition?

Getting accepted to Stanford and not going is crazy in my opinion.
    Umm...one friend had a 32 ACT and the other a 36. They are both complete opposites. My friend with the 36 looks almost identical to you in regards to your math EC's. The other with the 32, his EC's are tennis and some government and debate, accepted into some strong government leadership programs

I would say that the medical leadership forum would help you out. Two people went to it from my school last year and he got into a couple Ivies but can't pay for it
This discussion has been closed.