Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

CHances at non-ivy schools please...

btb846btb846 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
edited February 2006 in What Are My Chances?
Hello! Thanks for your input...pretty much all info is below
Junior at highly competitive high school in illinois.
GPA 4.0, includes 7 honor classes and 1 AP course (2003-Present)
I will have taken 7 business related classes by graduation along with a total of 10 honor classes and 4 AP courses.
*Note that I am looking into a college with a good business and/or sports management program.
ACT: 31
Schools of interest: Notre Dame, UMich, Northwestern, Indiana U-Bloomington, Ohio State, UMiami (FL), U of I - Urbana Champaign...any other ideas?

Honors and Extracurricular Activities:

Member of National Honor Society (2005-Present)
Member of Youth Group (Present)
High School Volleyball (2004-Present)
Baseball League (1995-Present)
Basketball League (1996-Present)
High School Football (2004-2005)
Active participant at local golf center (2005-Present)
Lead Role in Mock Trial Competition vs. Rival HS (2006)
Community Service at Loaves and Fishes (2006)
Tutoring Math Students (2006)
Freshmen Mentor Program (2006)

Work Experience:

Little League Baseball Umpire (2002-2005)
Service Clerk, Jewel (July 2005-January 2006)

Feel free to rip into me :) Just looking for other peoples' thoughts and opinions. THank you!
Post edited by btb846 on

Replies to: CHances at non-ivy schools please...

• BingColdBingCold Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    SAT scores?
  • btb846btb846 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Didn't take the SAT yet....
  • BingColdBingCold Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    all except NWU are matches, with NWU being a match/slight reach i think
  • scarfmadnessscarfmadness Registered User Posts: 469 Member
    i think you're pretty much in at all of those schools.. northwestern being the most difficult, but probably either a high match/low reach. i hope your essays are good!
    Thank you all for your advice. Please let me know if you know of any other well-known business schools in the midwest. Thanks again!
    bump...sorry...
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    Oh come on, those schools are not matches. A 31 is like a 1380, and a 4.0 is great. Indiana, Ohio State, and UMiami are safeties. Illinois is a safe match. U of Michigan a match or safe match, with around 80% chance. Notre Dame is a good match. Northwestern is a very slight reach.
  • JB12790JB12790 Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    wash u, olin is good
  • A2Wolves6A2Wolves6 Registered User Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    If you need info on SM/Business programs, PM me. That's the major i'm looking at, and i'm a year ahead of you (senior).

Indiana - you will get a full scholarship here. Tuition, fees, room, board, personal expenses, etc. Check out the Kelley Scholars Program (link below). Their UG Business school is fantastic, they have a teriffic SM program, and even a Sports and Society residential college, meaning living on a floor with a bunch of other sports fanatics. Definitely recommend applying here.

http://www.kelley.iu.edu/ugrad/scholars/

Notre Dame - Business isn't as good as Indiana's, and don't offer SM.

UMich - Same as Indiana in terms of quality of programs, although slightly better in both respects. You will get in at Michigan with your GPA. Maybe even a small scholarship.

Northwestern - Doesn't have UG Business, rather "pre-business", and doesn't offer any UG Sport Management, but has SM at the graduate level. Also a brand new program, which isn't good for SM.

Ohio State - Business isn't as good as Indiana, and don't have SM at UG level. They are great for SM at the grad level

Miami (FL) - The best SM school on your list. Has great connections, internships with the Miami Heat, Miami Dolphins, Florida Marlins, Florida Panthers, etc. Great oppurtunities. Could get a very good scholarship, you have the grades and the rank. See the link below:

http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,29532-1;40341-2;29913-2;29467-3,00.html

UIUC - SM program is leisure-studies based, so only a few actual good sport management classes. Not a great campus either. Business isn't better than IU either. Although you are in-state, and it's basically free for you.

Again, PM me, let me know what you're looking for, I basically already went through what you are thinking about right now.
  • par72par72 Registered User Posts: 4,208 Senior Member
    If interested in Notre Dame, might want to look at Holy Cross-1 hour from Boston. HC has very good accounting and economics program. Like ND, Holy Cross has good school spirit and strong alumni network.
    Thanks for the info. BTW, I should mention that the 4.0 is weighted, placing me just outside top 12%ish...my school is quite competitive. Also, my grades show a steady increase. Any more comments would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    Oh, I didn't realize the GPA is weighted. Forget my predictions then. What is your unweighted GPA?
    I want to say my unweighted GPA is around 3.6-3.7ish...Also, i forgot to include a huge thing...this summer (junior year summer) I will be an unpaid intern in NIU's athletic department. I will work 10 hour days, 4-5 days a week for the whole summer...I think that might be a big factor.
This discussion has been closed.