Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Me for Colleges! (I'll Chance Back)

AnxiousRonAnxiousRon - Posts: 79 Junior Member
edited March 2013 in What Are My Chances?
Junior In Highschool

Looking for Undergraduate Business Schools, such as University of Pennsylvania(Wharton), Cornell(Dyson), Carnegie Mellon(Tepper), NYU(Stern), University of Michigan(Ross), University of Virginia(McIntire)

Other Colleges that I'm considering: Northwestern, Brown, Univerisity of Chicago, John's Hopkins, Emory, University of North Carolina

***PLEASE TELL ME WHICH ONES I HAVE A DECENT/GOOD SHOT AT***

Stats-

GPA 3.8 unweighted out of 4.0
Act: 34 (in 1 sitting)
35 (superscore)
Sat I: 2290 (one sitting)
Sat II: Math Level 2 (780), BiologyM(?) US History(?)

Advanced Placement Classes:
Junior: AP Calculus AB, AP Biology, AP US History, AP Environmental Science(Self Study), AP Psychology
Senior: AP Stat, AP Physics B, AP European History, AP Spanish, AP Macroeconomics (Self Study)

Extracurriculars, Jobs, Volunteering, Sports, Music, Awards etc...
President of Books for Africa (school book donation organization)
Intern at Forte Capital (Summer of 2011, 2012, likely 2013)
Varsity Swim & Dive Team 4 years
Track & Field 1 year
Lifeguard/Coach
Piano 6 years
Clarinet 5 years
Saxophone 5 years
HS School Band
HS School Chorus
Volunteer (500+ Hours Total)-
Soup Kitchen (50 hours)
Re-Modeled/Planted garden at Underprivileged School (2 week project)
Teacher Assistant at Local Community Centre (Weekends, 3 hours each time for 2 years)
Assistant for Head Start Day-Care Center
AP Scholar with Distinction (Projected)
National Merit (Projected)
Swimming All-Conference 3 years, All-League 3 years,
Awesome Math at Cornell 2011 (Summer Program)
Civic Leadership Program at JHU 2012 (Summer Program)
(Probably 3-4 more after this summer)

Teacher Recommendations: Will probably be great
Essays: Also will probably be great
Financial Aid: No
Ethnicity: Asian
Income: $1,000,000+
Legacy: None, Parents immigrants, only went to grad school, but I dont believe that counts for anything
Post edited by AnxiousRon on

Replies to: Chance Me for Colleges! (I'll Chance Back)

• AnxiousRonAnxiousRon - Posts: 79 Junior Member
    List the ones I am a match for

List the ones that will be a reach

List the ones I am probably a shoe in for (if any even exist)
  • mrcynamrcyna Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    Looking for Undergraduate Business Schools, such as University of Pennsylvania(Wharton)-high reach, Cornell(Dyson)-low reach, Carnegie Mellon(Tepper)-match, NYU(Stern)-low reach, University of Michigan(Ross)-match, University of Virginia(McIntire)-match

Other Colleges that I'm considering: Northwestern-reach, Brown-high reach, Univerisity of Chicago-high reach, John's Hopkins-reach, Emory-low reach/match, University of North Carolina-match

I'm sure you know, but don't apply for aid. WashU St. Louis is not need blind so your chances may be really good there if you apply without aid. Good luck!
    Very curious about aid and money. How does it work, and how will it be to my advantage or to my disadvantage?

Do some schools favor people who DONT need aid, while needing aid is favored among other schools?
    BUMMPPPP

any other opinions about my chances or is mrcyna pretty spot on?
    400 views, 1 person chanced me, cmon ppl....
  • TheKongoTheKongo - Posts: 1,550 Senior Member
    University of Pennsylvania(Wharton) - High Reach / Unlikely
    Cornell(Dyson) - Low Reach
    Carnegie Mellon(Tepper) - High Match
    NYU(Stern) - High Match
    University of Michigan(Ross) - Match
    University of Virginia(McIntire) - Match
    Northwestern - Low Reach
    Brown - Reach
    University of Chicago - Reach
    John Hopkins - Reach
    Emory - Match
    University of North Carolina - Match

You won't get financial aid since you have a family income of over 1 million dollars. Not applying for financial aid helps you at the public universities and NYU, but won't affect your chances for schools at the tippy top.

Chance me?
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1462104-chances-berkeley-northwestern-cornell.html
  • centennial13centennial13 Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    University of Pennsylvania(Wharton) -high reach Cornell(Dyson) - high match (mainly because of the summer program; Carnegie Mellon(Tepper) - high match NYU(Stern), University of Michigan(Ross) - match University of Virginia(McIntire) - reach (unless you live in VA it's hard to get into because they prefer VA residents

Other Colleges that I'm considering: Northwestern - high match Brown - match Univerisity of Chicago -high reach John's Hopkins - high reach Emory - high match University of North Carolina - match

Honestly, those are some reaaly tough schools to get into. Especially Chicago, Hopkins, Penn
    It doesn't help that your Asian although it helps that your rich. Like the other person said apply to WashU. My bro and his friend applied there. My bro had better stats than his friend but we needed aid and his friend didn't but his friend got in.

Make sure you apply to lower level schools too like Bowdoin, Oberlin, things like that because there is no guarantee to the big schools. I had great states and I applied to very small and lower leveled schools just in case.
    Hope I helped.
  • ProvStudentProvStudent Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    You have a great overall transcript but you never know at these schools.

Cornell - high match
    Upenn - reach
    Cmu - match
    Nyu - match
    Mich - match
    UVA - match
    Northwestern - high match/ low reach
    Brown - low reach
    Uchicago- low reach
    Hopkins- match
    Emory- match
    Unc - match

Chance back? http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1465128-chance-me-wake-forest-trinity-will-chance-back.html#post15525066
    What are the weak points in my application?

or like...

What could i do better on?
    Everything is fine. You should probably try to improve your GPA/SAT for the Ivies. Other than that, your ethnicity plays against you. Sorry but Asians have the hardest time getting into college as opposed to a Hispanic or African American.
    I mean isn't a 34/35 act about a 2300/2360 sat score...?

cant do anything about my ethnicity or my gpa
    are my grades the only thing holding me back though?
    Your ACT is high; however, retaking the SAT again and scoring 2300+ along with your 35 superscore will almost guarantee a spot for you provided you submit both. Try to get all A's senior year 1st semester to pull your GPA up. Do not let it fall. A 3.8 is already amazing. You have stats that a majority of students can't even dream about. You are set just don't let your GPA fall. Alright? Otherwise you're basically set for a good school, but no necessarily Penn unless you so what I suggested above. Good Luck.
    By the way just curious. What state do you live in and what gender are you?
    I'm not exactly sure about how it works for other schools, but I believee that our school doesn't factor in any of our grades during senior year, its just 8th grade (if you took hs classes) - junior year. and even if our school did, it woudln't effect too much bc they wont show up when i apply early decision and early action to schools
This discussion has been closed.